Kevin Durant Seals Epic 50-40-90 Season in 2012-13

Dan Favale@@danfavaleFeatured ColumnistApril 17, 2013

Kevin Durant won't be winning his fourth consecutive scoring title, but he'll still be making NBA history.

After 81 games of torching opposing defenses in the most efficient of fashions, Durant will not be playing in the Oklahoma City Thunder's final regular-season contest against the Milwaukee Bucks.

By not playing, Durant is ensuring that he finishes the year converting on 51 percent of his total field-goal attempts, connecting on 41.6 percent of his treys and 90.5 percent of his free throws.

Only 9 other players in league history have shot at least 50 percent from the the field overall, 40 percent from deep and 90 percent from the charity stripe in the same season.

The Durantula also joins Larry Bird and Dirk Nowitzki as the only three players to put forth a 50/40/90 effort while averaging at least 20 points per game. Durant and Bird are the only ones to do it posting 25 or more points per night.

Durant is the first player to accomplish the feat since 2010-11, when Steve Novak did it. That season, Novak appeared in just 30 games. The last player to hit 50/40/90 and play in more than 30 contests was Steve Nash, during the 2009-10 campaign.

Nothing about what Durant has done can be overlooked. It's extremely difficult to sustain such averages for an entire season, much less come close to leading the league in scoring as well.ย 

What's especially impressive is Durant's free-throw percentage. Hitting on 90.5 percent isn't a record, nor does it lead the exclusive group he is now officially a part of, but he attempted 750 free throws this season, the most of any other player on the list. Nowitzki is a not-so-close second. He attempted 551 free throws during his 50/40/90 campaign in 2006-07.

Remember, this isn't something that just happens. And it's not something that superstars can just do. Michael Jordan never did it. Magic Johnson never did it. Kobe Bryant and LeBron James haven't done it (thus far).

To know that Durant was able to remain concurrently potent and efficient is simply incredible. Beyond incredible even.

Although it would only have been more glorifying to see Durant become the first player ever to lead the NBA in scoring and shoot 50/40/90 in the same year, his 2012-13 regular-season performance wasn't any less monstrous.

And it won't fail to go down as one of the most epic crusade-long displays we have ever seen.

*Unless otherwise noted, all stats from this article were compiled from Basketball-Reference.

Related

    Vince Carter: Not My Autograph ๐Ÿ˜…

    VC tweets to NBA TV host who thought he paid $125 for Carter's autograph

    NBA logo
    NBA

    Vince Carter: Not My Autograph ๐Ÿ˜…

    Adam Wells
    via Bleacher Report

    Cuban: 'No Idea' When NBA Returns

    Mavs owner says he hasn't 'had any conversations where anybody's even discussed an actual date at this point'

    NBA logo
    NBA

    Cuban: 'No Idea' When NBA Returns

    Joseph Zucker
    via Bleacher Report

    Dame Calls Out Lakers Report

    Lillard reminds everyone it's April Fools' Day after report suggests he wants to leave Portland for LA

    NBA logo
    NBA

    Dame Calls Out Lakers Report

    Scott Polacek
    via Bleacher Report

    Re-Drafting the 2000 NBA Draft ๐Ÿ“

    @HughesNBA starts our re-draft series by fixing one of the worst classes ever

    NBA logo
    NBA

    Re-Drafting the 2000 NBA Draft ๐Ÿ“

    Grant Hughes
    via Bleacher Report