The Yankees almost had one of their worst series of the season until Nick Swisher won the game with a ninth-inning walk-off home run off of the Orioles Koji Uehara to lead the Yankees to a 3-2 victory.
Here are some highlights:
- This was the fourth walk-off win for the Yankees this year.
- Ivan Nova was great on the mound today making only one mistake, a two-run home run allowed to Matt Wieters.
- Brad Bergesen held the Yankees to just four hits.
- The victory avoids the Yankees first home sweep by the Orioles since 1986.
- It also keeps them from their first four-game losing streak of the season. They are the only team in the majors who haven’t had one.
- Derek Jeter was 5-for-36 (.139) during this homestand.
- Jorge Posada didn’t pinch hit in a situation where he was direly needed because he has concussion symptoms after getting hit with a foul tip last night.
That win is actually a big one. The Yankees offense looked great coming into this series, but fell asleep against mediocre Orioles pitching. Winning the last game like that should give them back some momentum going into Texas this weekend.
Also, a big game from Nova is huge as it helps alleviate some of the pressure in the rotation. Nova could be a legitimate pitcher on this team and a good bullpen option in the playoffs over the likes of Dustin Moseley and Chad Gaudin.
- August 25, 2010 -- Yankees Notes: Recap, Swisher, Hughes, and Aceves
- September 7, 2010 -- Yankees Notes: Sabathia, Pettitte, Kearns, Swisher, Curtis
- June 21, 2010 -- Updated AL All-Star Ballot: Jeter and Cano Still Ahead
- June 9, 2010 -- Yankees Notes: Gardner, Posada, Culver, and Noesi