Peter King NFL Mock Draft 2021: Jones to 49ers, Fields to CAR, DeVonta to PatsApril 26, 2021
The first round of Thursday's 2021 NFL draft will have a number of quarterbacks and pass-catchers come off the board early, but in what order?
Peter King of NBC Sports released his final mock draft Monday, featuring three quarterbacks going with the first three picks in Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson and Mac Jones. There has been significant debate surrounding the third of those picks, but Jones going to the San Francisco 49ers has always made sense.
1. Jacksonville Jaguars: Trevor Lawrence, QB, Clemson
2. New York Jets: Zach Wilson, QB, BYU
3. San Francisco 49ers: Mac Jones, QB, Alabama
4. Atlanta Falcons: Kyle Pitts, TE, Florida
5. Cincinnati Bengals: Ja'Marr Chase, WR, LSU
6. Miami Dolphins: Jaylen Waddle, WR, Alabama
7. Detroit Lions: Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon
8. Carolina Panthers: Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State
9. Denver Broncos: Trey Lance, QB, North Dakota State
10. Dallas Cowboys: Patrick Surtain II, CB, Alabama
The quarterbacks will be the biggest story on draft night, likely starting at No. 3 where there are no clear indications about who the 49ers will select. King reported it's a "two-horse race" between Jones and Lance, with Jones potentially getting the edge for fitting into Kyle Shanahan's system.
"Jones has elite NFL traits," a coach told King. "He's a natural thrower, is technically very sound, very accurate and throws a catchable ball. His base and mechanics are excellent."
There will also be plenty of headlines surrounding the receivers and tight end Kyle Pitts. Jaylen Waddle is listed ahead of teammate and Heisman Trophy winner DeVonta Smith, who had 117 receptions for 1,856 yards and 23 touchdowns last season, but he weighed just 166 pounds at the combine.
That could be enough to drop Smith to the New England Patriots at No. 15.
Even though New England added Nelson Agholor and Kendrick Bourne in free agency, Smith would give the team a potential No. 1 option while upgrading a receiving corps that struggled mightily last season.