
Andy Murray Says He's Ready to Play at 2017 Wimbledon Despite Hip Injury
Andy Murray has confirmed he is ready to play at the 2017 Wimbledon Championships despite his hip injury, with his tournament due to kick off on Monday.
The world No. 1 has been troubled by the injury for several weeks but said he'll be fine to feature as long as he feels close to the same levels he has in recent days.
Per BBC Sport, he said: "It's felt much better the last few days. I've had hip problems since I was very young. Been very sore the last few weeks. If I feel like I do today, I'll be fine to play the tournament. I'll be fine to play seven matches."
Murray will open his Wimbledon title defence against Alexander Bublik. He enters the competition on the back of some shaky form so far in 2017, including a round-of-32 exit to Jordan Thompson at the AEGON Championships.
The Scot's declaration of intent to compete at SW19 also coincided with some good news in the Murray household, per BBC Sport's Kheredine Idessane:
That said, Murray did make a run to the semi-final of this year's French Open at the beginning of June, where he lost to Stanislas Wawrinka.
He'll hope any misfortune so far in 2017 will come to its end with the transition to grass. He displayed some impressive movement during a recent practice against Grigor Dimitrov:
Murray's run to the last four at Roland Garros did, however, follow a disappointing fourth-round exit at this year's only other Grand Slam thus far, the Australian Open.
BBC Sport reported Murray pulled out of three days of practice last week, along with missing two exhibition matches. Murray added that he felt his run at Roland Garros may serve as a precursor of what's to come:
"The last few days have been very good. Practice each day has got a little bit better. It's been slightly stop-start preparations. But each day I've felt better.
"A little bit like at the French Open, where maybe I didn't come in as well-prepared, I still found a way with each match to feel a bit better and built confidence each day. So, you know, I'm hoping that's the case here."
The return to form of veterans such as Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal sees the pair leading as front-runners heading into Wimbledon this year, but Murray's two titles in the past four years show he also can't be ruled out—injury or not.




.jpg)


.png)




.jpg)