
Jorge Polanco Open to Playing 1B for Mets After Pete Alonso's Orioles Contract
Jorge Polanco indicated he is ready to take over for Pete Alonso as the New York Mets' first baseman despite never having played a full MLB game at the position.
Polanco was asked Monday if he would be playing mainly at first base after agreeing to a two-year, $40 million deal with the Mets.
"Yeah, I would think so," Polanco said through a translator (h/t SNY Mets). "Like I said before, I offered my services as a first baseman, second baseman, third baseman. But, yeah. As the conversations went on, they told me that I'd be playing a good amount of first base, but that I could also be bouncing around."
TOP NEWS

Assessing Every MLB Team's Development System ⚾
.png)
10 Scorching MLB Takes 🌶️

Yankees Call Up 6'7" Prospect 📈
Polanco spent most of his last season with the Mariners at second base, third base or designated hitter, at one point slotting in as DH after dealing with knee soreness in the infield early in the season.
He played just a single pitch of the 2025 campaign at first base (h/t the AP's Ronald Blum).
Polanco told reporters Monday, however, that he had been working on transitioning to first base during the 2025 season.
"The conversations with the Mets were pretty easy, as I was already making that transition from starting back last year, when I was with Seattle," Polanco said through the translator.
"When the Mets asked if I was able to do that, play a little bit of first, a little bit of third, I was definitely willing to do that right away."
The "biggest difference" about playing at first, Polanco said, will be "the position you get into for receiving pickoffs."
"With my experience of playing the infield, it allows me to be an athlete. My athleticism will help me play first base," Polanco said.
The Mets signed Polanco shortly after losing long-time first baseman Pete Alonso in free agency to the Baltimore Orioles.
Alonso reportedly did not receive an offer from the Mets, per Joel Sherman of the New York Post, before he signed his five-year, $155 million deal with the O's.
The Mets previously added another infielder this offseason by bringing in second baseman Marcus Semien from the Texas Rangers. With Polanco at first and Semien at second, the Mets could then turn to Francisco Lindor at shortstop and Brett Baty at third base.
That could leave Mark Vientos as designated hitter for now, although whether Polanco also spends time in the DH slot could depend on his health heading into 2026.






