
Aaron Rodgers Rumors: Most Jets HC Candidates Wanted to Move on From QB
The majority of candidates interviewing to become the New York Jets' next head coach told owner Woody Johnson the franchise should move on from Aaron Rodgers, according to NFL insider Dianna Russini.
"Most of the candidates that interviewed for this head coaching job with the New York Jets were asked the question directly from Woody: 'Do you think we should stick with Aaron Rodgers?'" Russini said Wednesday on the Rich Eisen Show. "So there was a time that they considered it, and everybody said the same thing: 'No. No. You guys need to turn the page on him.'
TOP NEWS
.jpg)
Colts Release Kenny Moore

Projecting Every NFL Team's Starting Lineup 🔮

Rookie WRs Who Will Outplay Their Draft Value 📈
"So while this new regime believed in it, almost every single candidate that interviewed for the job had the same sentiment. And I can tell you, around the league, nobody's going, 'Why would the Jets let him walk?'"
The Jets officially interviewed at least 16 candidates for their head coaching vacancy before announcing the hiring of Aaron Glenn on Jan. 22.
Russini reported on Feb. 11 that the Jets had been initially open to Rodgers coming back, but that Glenn was leading a push to get Rodgers to change his off-field routine in order to facilitate a return.
"I was told that when they had conversations with Aaron Rodgers about the future would look like, 'If you're gonna be a part of this team, you're gonna attend all of training camp, you're not gonna do Pat McAfee interviews anymore'... I think it's Aaron Glenn that's the one pushing for, 'I'm holding everyone accountable, and every single person on this team is going to be treated the same way,'" Russini said.
Glenn and newly hired general manager Darren Mougey then said in a joint statement on Feb. 13 that they had met with Rodgers the week prior and "shared that our intention was to move in a different direction at quarterback."
It sounds like a similar scene may have played out even if the Jets had hired someone other than Glenn as the team's next head coach.
It is not yet confirmed if Rodgers will return for a 21st NFL season. According to Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer, Rodgers told Glenn and Mougey he had a "tentative intention to play in 2025."

.png)
.jpg)
.jpg)

.jpg)