Here are some notes:
- Joe Girardi said he has a lineup in mind for tomorrow, but is still mulling over the outfield. The obvious concern is whether Austin Kearns should start against the tough lefty.
- Girardi said he took Ramiro Pena over Eduardo Nunez because of his experience playing multiple infield positions.
- Girardi also said that part of the reason they are carrying Greg Golson on the roster is because of the uncertainty of Nick Swisher's knee.
- Royce Ring, Nunez, Ivan Nova, and Jonathan Albaladejo are working out in Tampa just in case.
- Chad Gaudin, Chad Moeller, and Javier Vazquez will join the team in Minnesota.
- A.J. Burnett and Vazquez were both disappointed not to get a big role in the playoffs but understand why. They suck so badly that they can’t even stand up for themselves.
That’s all the news, catching us up on the roster decisions. I think it is straightforward. Guys like Nova, Ring, and Gaudin were almost expected to make the roster, but all were left off because they just pitched terribly.
Nunez could have made it over Pena, but in reality these guys are only really going to come in for defense late in games. Pena is the better defender and has more experience at different positions. That’s the bottom line. When you look at it that way, there wasn’t much of a choice.
- October 5, 2010 — Yankees Announce ALDS Roster
- October 1, 2010 — Playoff Roster Discussion: Carrying Greg Golson?
- September 23, 2010 — Nova, Vazquez, Gaudin, Mitre, and Moseley Fight for 2 Spots
- September 12, 2010 — Discussion: Yankees Playoff Roster