Jim McIsaac/Getty Images
Tonight was a special night at Yankee Stadium as George Steinbrenner was honored before the game with a huge monument in center field and their center fielder blasted two home runs in an 8-6 victory over the Rays.
Here are some highlights:
- Ivan Nova was impressive through five innings, but ran into trouble in the sixth when he gave up three runs on two hits, a walk, an error, and a double play. His overall line: 5.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 4 K, 0 HR.
- Curtis Granderson provided most of the offense as he went 2-for-3 with 2 homers, 5 RBI’s, and a pair of walks.
- Derek Jeter and Nick Swisher had 2 hits each, Francisco Cervelli had 3.
- Boone Logan struggled during his appearance.
- Chad Gaudin walked in a run, got a fly ball out, and a win. That’s literally all he did and he got a win, some stat.
- David Robertson and Mariano Rivera continue their recent struggles, each allowed a run, but ultimately it didn’t matter.
- The Yankees own Matt Garza this year. Coming into this game he had a 7.71 ERA against them in 2 starts. Tonight he gave up 5 earned runs in 5 innings.
- September 3, 2010 -- Even A Hurricane Can’t Stop the Yankees
- August 25, 2010 -- Yankees Notes: Recap, Swisher, Hughes, and Aceves
- September 13, 2010 -- Yankees Notes: Vazquez, Swisher, Gardner, and Matchups
- September 13, 2010 -- Mapping the Pitching Staff for Remaining Games and 1st Round