Dalvin Cook's hope for a long-term contract appears to be over for the time being.
Tom Pelissero of NFL Network reported talks between Cook and the Minnesota Vikings "broke off" Tuesday as they remain at an impasse regarding a new deal.
Cook is in the final year of his rookie-scale contract and had been held out of team drills as the two sides negotiated.
Ben Goessling of the Star Tribune reported Cook was looking for around $13 million annually, putting him in the conversation with David Johnson, Le'Veon Bell and Derrick Henry.
"Those guys deserve what they got; I would never want to compare myself to those guys," Cook told reporters. "I put myself in a category of my own. Whatever my agent and the Vikings come up with that's reasonable enough for me on and off the field, if they can come to an agreement, that's what it's going to be."
Cook said he never considered holding out of training camp to force the Vikings' hand. Minnesota general manager Rick Spielman has maintained the team wants the Florida State product around for the long term.
Cook rushed for 1,135 yards and 13 touchdowns while adding 519 yards on 53 receptions through the air, earning his first Pro Bowl berth. He also played a career-high 14 games after being limited to 15 appearances in his first two seasons because of injuries.