NFLNBAMLBNHLWNBASoccerGolf
Featured Video
🚨 Mitchell Headed to 1st Conference Finals
Gennady Golovkin, right, connects with a right to Canelo Alvarez during a middleweight title fight Sunday, Sept. 17, 2017, in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/John Locher)
Gennady Golovkin, right, connects with a right to Canelo Alvarez during a middleweight title fight Sunday, Sept. 17, 2017, in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/John Locher)John Locher/Associated Press

Canelo Alvarez vs. Gennady Golovkin Rematch Canceled After Alvarez Suspended

Kyle NewportApr 3, 2018

Sorry, boxing fans. The rematch is off. 

According to Brian Campbell of CBS Sports, Golden Boy's Eric Gomez announced during a conference call that the May 5 bout between Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin has been canceled.

The announcement comes less than two weeks after Alvarez was temporarily suspended for failing a drug test that showed Clenbuterol.

TOP NEWS

Fox's "Special Forces" Red Carpet
Colts Jaguars Football

The Nevada State Athletic Commission has scheduled a hearing to determine Alvarez's fate on April 18. 

The two boxers were set to square off at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas in a rematch after last year's fight controversially ended in a draw.

Both fighters were eager to meet again.

"It feels right that the rematch returns to the scene of the crime. This time, there will be no drama with a decision," Golovkin said in February, per ESPN.com's Dan Rafael. "I won the first fight and left the ring as world champion wearing all the belts. And I am going to win the second fight. It is going to be a record fight and a golden night for me and boxing at T-Mobile Arena."

Unfortunately for Alvarez, Golovkin and boxing fans everywhere, the rematch will not happen—at least not as scheduled in May. However, that doesn't mean there won't be a fight.

"Anyone who booked a plane ticket or who was planning to come to Las Vegas for Cinco de Mayo weekend to see GGG fight, don't cancel your ticket, because we're planning a GGG fight on May 5, whether it's against Canelo or somebody else," Tom Loeffler of GGG Promotions said on Monday, per Rafael"We're weighing all the options right now."

Per Lance Pugmire of the Los Angeles Times, Alvarez hopes to fight later in 2018:

The boxing world will surely be disappointed by the news that Alvarez's current situation nixed a rematch. Last year's bout left a bad taste in everyone's mouth, and a rematch would have helped make things right. But for GGG fans and boxing fans in general, at least there should still be some action next month.

🚨 Mitchell Headed to 1st Conference Finals

TOP NEWS

Fox's "Special Forces" Red Carpet
Colts Jaguars Football
With Jayson Tatum sidelined, Celtics' fourth-quarter comeback falls short in Game 7 loss to 76ers
DENVER NUGGETS VS GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS, NBA

TRENDING ON B/R