NFLNBANHLMLBWNBARoland-GarrosSoccer
Featured Video
Mbappé's Rollercoaster Season 🎢
SOUTHAMPTON, ENGLAND - SEPTEMBER 09:  Ryan Bertrand of Southampton in action during the Premier League match between Southampton and Watford at St Mary's Stadium on September 9, 2017 in Southampton, England.  (Photo by Warren Little/Getty Images)
SOUTHAMPTON, ENGLAND - SEPTEMBER 09: Ryan Bertrand of Southampton in action during the Premier League match between Southampton and Watford at St Mary's Stadium on September 9, 2017 in Southampton, England. (Photo by Warren Little/Getty Images)Warren Little/Getty Images

Manchester City Transfer News: Latest Rumours on Ryan Bertrand and Abel Ruiz

Gill ClarkOct 15, 2017

Manchester City are reportedly interested in signing Ryan Bertrand in January and are also said to be one of several clubs keeping tabs on Barcelona starlet Abel Ruiz.

According to Mike McGrath at The Sun, the Sky Blues see Bertrand as the perfect replacement for Benjamin Mendy, who is expected to miss most of the season with a serious knee problem.

The full-back was only signed from AS Monaco in the summer but is expected to be out of action for up to six months, per Sam Lee at Goal:

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports

City manager Pep Guardiola has used Fabian Delph as cover for Mendy so far, with Danilo also an option, but he could now look to bring in Bertrand, who was also a target in the summer, per McGrath.

Bertrand is a vastly experienced Premier League defender who is also part of the England squad. The left-back started the FIFA 2018 World Cup qualifier against Slovenia recently and did little wrong, as shown by WhoScored.com:

Bertrand also possesses UEFA Champions League experience, having famously made his tournament debut in the 2012 final with Chelsea, who lifted the trophy after beating Bayern Munich on penalties.

The full-back has previously said he opted to leave Chelsea due to a lack of regular football, per Henry Winter at The Times.

Therefore, whether he would be tempted to move to Citywhere he may only be first-choice until Mendy returnsremains to be seen.

Meanwhile, City are monitoring Ruiz, along with Arsenal and Chelsea, who are all aware the highly rated teenager has a release clause of just £3 million, per John Cross at the Mirror.

The 17-year-old's contract expires in 2019, although Barcelona are "keen to renegotiate to stop him leaving on the cheap."

Ruiz has said he will stay at Barcelona for as long as the club want him, per Josep Capdevila at Sport.

The youngster is playing for Spain at the FIFA Under-17 World Cup, where any eye-catching displays are likely to deepen potential interest in his services.

The striker is the captain of the team and a powerful player who can hold the ball up and bring team-mates into play, but he also thrives in front of goal and possesses a fierce shot.

Spanish football journalist David Cartlidge is in no doubt he has a great future ahead of him:

While Ruiz seems committed to Barcelona, his huge potential and relatively small release clause make him an attractive proposition, and the Catalan giants surely risk losing him unless they improve his current deal.

Mbappé's Rollercoaster Season 🎢

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports
United States v Japan - International Friendly
FIFA World Cup 2026 Venues - New York New Jersey Stadium

TRENDING ON B/R