What happens when LaVar Ball enters the ring and Drake spends two hours making fun of the entire NBA...in the same night? Your podcast hosts Dave Schilling (aka A$AP Schilly) and Natalie Weiner were at both mega-events on a wild Monday, WWE Raw and Russellmania (aka the NBA Awards), to take you behind the scenes.
So who won the week? Subscribe to The B/R Mag Show on iTunes now, or listen up to find out who came out on top of this week's Sports Culture Power Rankings. The ceiling was kinda the roof this week, so yeah: No. 1 was definitely not the Zen Master or John frickin' McEnroe.
This week, we do The Three-Minute Drill with JaVale McGee, newly crowned NBA champion and current free agent. He's apparently got the best hair in the game, but he's got even more takes:
• On getting home after the Warriors' Finals party in the club: "All I remember is the Champagne, and then I don't remember after that."
• On the Warriors locker room: "Zaza by far has the worst taste in music—house music, like all house music."
Want your insider's look as NBA free agency begins? TNT's David Aldridge says, one year later, it's clear to "everybody that viewed this as overkill and bandwagon-jumping and piling on"—including himself—that "we had it all wrong. The Warriors needed Durant. They had to have him play in order to beat Cleveland." And here's his Paul George jigsaw puzzle:
• On PG13 in Cleveland: "If you're talking about next year, in terms of fit, how can you say Cleveland wouldn't be a good fit for him? Obviously that would be a good fit. Playing with LeBron is always a good fit."
• On PG13 in Boston: "I don't believe he wants to play with a ball-dominant point guard—playing with a guy like Isaiah Thomas."
• On PG13 in Hollywood: "It's a better fit down the road in L.A. with a guy like Lonzo Ball."
If that's a little too in the weeds for you, Natalie headed to the NBA Awards red carpet to ask NBA legends Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, David Robinson and John Wall a simple question: Do you know Drake's real name?
And listen to Episode 4 of The B/R Mag Show right here...