
Kawann Short Contract: Latest News, Rumors on DT's Negotiations with Panthers
Defensive tackle Kawann Short, who is entering the final year of his contract, remains a prime candidate to sign an extension with the Carolina Panthers this offseason.
Continue for updates.
TOP NEWS
.jpg)
Colts Release Kenny Moore

Projecting Every NFL Team's Starting Lineup 🔮

Rookie WRs Who Will Outplay Their Draft Value 📈
Rivera Comments on Short's Negotiations
Tuesday, June 14
Bill Voth of Black and Blue Review noted on Tuesday that when asked about Eagles DT Fletcher Cox's reported six-year, $103 million extension, Panthers head coach Ron Rivera "admitted 'it probably will' complicate negotiations between Short and the Panthers."
However, Rivera added, per Voth: "I stay in my lane. That way if a player comes and talks to me, I can honestly tell them, 'Hey, I really don't know what that number is, but I know this that and the other thing.'"
Short Reportedly Reports to Panthers
Tuesday, June 14
The Associated Press' Steve Reed noted that Short is working with the first-team defense in team drills at Tuesday's mandatory minicamp but won't speak to the media about missing last week's OTAs.
Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, citing a source, reported Monday that Short had arrived for the Panthers' mandatory minicamp.
On June 6, Voth, citing league sources, reported, "Short was a no-show for all three of the Panthers' OTA practices last week." Voth continued:
"After a brief pause, negotiations for a long-term contract restarted recently, a source said, and Short’s sudden, unexcused absence is a reaction to where those talks currently stand.
Short isn’t expected to attend the third and final week of OTAs that start on Tuesday, and he could also sit out next week’s minicamp. Because that’s mandatory and not "voluntary," he’d be facing a possible fine. These practices are unpadded, but players can use this time of year to make a point rather than risk injury under their current contract.
"
Short Comments on Negotiations with Panthers
Wednesday, May 25
"If it happens, it happens, but we haven’t focused on that," Short said, via Max Henson of Panthers.com. "I’ve still got a lot I need to do. I’ve put myself in the position, but at the same time, I’m not where I want to be. We're not rushing the issue."
Contract Talks Have Begun Between Short and Panthers
Monday, May 9
The Panthers and Short have opened talks on a contract extension, according to Rapoport. As Rapoport noted, Short's pending extension was a consideration when the team decided to release cornerback Josh Norman.
Short Has Emerged as One of League's Top Interior D-Lineman
Short, 27, established himself as one of the game's most dominant interior presences in the 2015 season, registering 55 tackles, 11 sacks, three forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries. His 11 sacks tied Aaron Donald of the St. Louis Rams and Geno Atkins of the Cincinnati Bengals for the most among defensive tackles.
Per Rotoworld, he was ranked Pro Football Focus' No. 4 defensive tackle and had the site's 12th-best grade against the run at his position, according to Brent Sobleski of Bleacher Report.
He paired with Star Lotulelei on the inside of Carolina's defensive line to form arguably the league's most dynamic duo at the position. Former NFL and Panthers defensive end Jared Allen compared them to a pair of dominant defensive tackles he played with while he was a member of the Minnesota Vikings, Kevin and Pat Williams.
“Star and KK can definitely be that Williams Wall,” Allen told Robert Mays of The MMQB in February. “I loved to watch those guys, as a football fan, just to watch what they could do. Then to see that here with two young guys, hopefully they’ll have their whole careers together. It’s a special thing.”
Signing Short to a long-term extension after the team picked up the fifth-year option on Lotulelei this offseason would be an indication that the Panthers agree with Allen's assessment.
You can follow Timothy Rapp on Twitter.

.png)
.jpg)
.jpg)

.jpg)