NFLNBAMLBNHLWNBASoccerGolf
Featured Video
🚨 Mitchell Headed to 1st Conference Finals
LAS VEGAS, NEVADA - SEPTEMBER 04:  (L-R) Frankie Edgar looks at Conor McGregor during the UFC's Go Big launch event inside MGM Grand Garden Arena on September 4, 2015 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Jeff Bottari/Zuffa LLC/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images)
LAS VEGAS, NEVADA - SEPTEMBER 04: (L-R) Frankie Edgar looks at Conor McGregor during the UFC's Go Big launch event inside MGM Grand Garden Arena on September 4, 2015 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Jeff Bottari/Zuffa LLC/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images)Jeff Bottari/Zuffa LLC/Getty Images

Dana: Aldo vs. Edgar Could Be for Vacant 145-Pound Title If McGregor Retires

Steven RondinaApr 20, 2016

The UFC is still trying to figure out what to do with Conor McGregor. The former UFC 200 main eventer lost his spot on the card Tuesday after ominously tweeting that he wanted "to retire young" and, according to UFC President Dana White, that's not all he may lose.

Speaking with Fox Sports 1's Colin Cowherd, White hinted that McGregor's days as the featherweight champion may be over. "Conor needs to clear up this whole retirement thing, and clear it up fast," he said (h/t to MMA Fighting's Hunter Homistek for the transcription). "Because if he’s retired, then at UFC 200 Jose Aldo and Frankie Edgar are fighting for the vacant title."

TOP NEWS

UFC 319: Du Plessis vs. Chimaev
Colts Jaguars Football

McGregor famously won the UFC featherweight title in 2015 by knocking out the long-reigning Aldo in 13 seconds at UFC 194. The sudden, shocking end to the fight capped what had already been an astoundingly fast rise to the top for McGregor and cemented him as one of the top draws in the sport.

Controversy has swirled over the last few months, however, as McGregor seemingly left the 145-pound division behind to chase the lightweight title. He was booked to face Rafael dos Anjos at UFC 196, who withdrew and was replaced by Nate Diaz. When Diaz vs. McGregor 2 was announced, the UFC gave the former champ Aldo, and fellow title hopeful Frankie Edgar, the opportunity to compete at UFC 200 for the interim featherweight championship.

Frankie Edgar faced Jose Aldo for the featherweight title in 2013.

All that said, McGregor is going to remain the featherweight champion for the foreseeable future, unless he is legitimately retiring. The UFC contract carries a number of unique clauses exclusive to champions that give the promotion greater control over the fighter (make sure to check out Jonathan Snowden's breakdown of the UFC contract). Stripping him of the title would functionally be the UFC giving up some of its hold over McGregor, something that it has been reluctant to do in the past. 

Either way, Aldo and Edgar will face off for a belt at UFC 200. How McGregor factors into the discussion remains to be seen.

🚨 Mitchell Headed to 1st Conference Finals

TOP NEWS

UFC 319: Du Plessis vs. Chimaev
Colts Jaguars Football
With Jayson Tatum sidelined, Celtics' fourth-quarter comeback falls short in Game 7 loss to 76ers
DENVER NUGGETS VS GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS, NBA

TRENDING ON B/R