The Rock's Beloved Puppy Brutus Dies After Eating a Toxic Mushroom

Katie Richcreek@BookstoreKatieFeatured ColumnistSeptember 29, 2015


Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's puppy Brutus, the french bulldog who swooned thousands with his rebellious spirit, died late Monday night after eating a toxic mushroom.

Brutus first caught our attention after jumping into the Johnson family pool and nearly drowning over Labor Day weekend, and won us over again after protesting going for a walk—all of which The Rock cataloged on his Instagram account.

In keeping with that tradition, Johnson posted a heartfelt tribute to his "rough housing" pup Tuesday after bidding farewell to the young Brutus:

Another reminder we have to live and love as greatly as we can today, because tomorrow is never guaranteed.
At approximately 11:15pm last night myself and @laurenhashianofficial had to make the painful decision to end Brutus' suffering by taking him off of life support and sending his soul to pup heaven. I held his lil' paw as he was finally at peace.

As all puppies and dogs do, he ate a mushroom while playing outside with his brother Hobbs. This mushroom happened to have a lethal toxicity and within hours it was rapidly destroying his liver and immune system to the point of no return.

I encourage all of you out there to be mindful of mushrooms in your yards, parks or anywhere outside your dogs play. What looks innocent, can be deadly to your lil' family members.
Thank you Dr. Deckelbaum and Dr. West and the incredibly caring nurses and staff at The Animal Medical Center At Cooper City.

We'll always love you Brutus.. and you'll always be my lil' main man and rough housing Brute.

Rest in peace, little guy.

[The Rock]