NFLNBAMLBNHLWNBASoccerGolf
Featured Video
Mbappé's Rollercoaster Season 🎢
Real Madrid's Gareth Bale runs with the ball during the International Champions Cup Australia football match between English Premier League team Manchester City and Spanish side Real Madrid in Melbourne on July 24, 2015. Real Madrid won the match 4-1. AFP PHOTO / Paul CROCK -- IMAGE RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE - STRICTLY NO COMMERCIAL USE        (Photo credit should read PAUL CROCK/AFP/Getty Images)
Real Madrid's Gareth Bale runs with the ball during the International Champions Cup Australia football match between English Premier League team Manchester City and Spanish side Real Madrid in Melbourne on July 24, 2015. Real Madrid won the match 4-1. AFP PHOTO / Paul CROCK -- IMAGE RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE - STRICTLY NO COMMERCIAL USE (Photo credit should read PAUL CROCK/AFP/Getty Images)PAUL CROCK/Getty Images

Manchester United Transfer News: Latest Pedro and Gareth Bale Rumours

Stuart NewmanAug 2, 2015

Manchester United are seemingly closing in on the capture of Barcelona forward Pedro, who is expected to head to Old Trafford in the coming days.

That’s according to Spanish newspaper Sport, which stated the 28-year-old will arrive in Manchester just after the club kick off their 2015/16 campaign against Tottenham Hotspur—via Footie Writer:

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports

Plus, family friend and president of the star’s first club Jaime Lorenzo told Spanish radio station Cadena SER that Pedro has bid farewell to his family as he prepares to start life in England (via Pete Jenson of the Daily Mail):

“The player was here working at a soccer school a few weeks back and his friends already know he is going. And the other day I saw Pedro’s mum in a furniture shop and she told me that he is going to England. I believe it's a good challenge for him and it means he will get more playing time.”

PASADENA, CA - JULY 21:  Pedro Rodriguez #7 of FC Barcelona in actoin against the Los Angeles Galaxy in the International Champions Cup 2015 at Rose Bowl on July 21, 2015 in Pasadena, California.  (Photo by Stephen Dunn/Getty Images)

While encouraging news for United fans, it also likely means the end of the road for Angel Di Maria at Old Trafford.

The Argentinian signed for a club-record fee this time last year but failed to impress with a string of below-par performances in the 2014/15 campaign.

Still, with Di Maria seemingly on the way to Paris Saint-Germain for £45 million, per the Daily Telegraph, United now have the funds to bring in Pedro and still have change to invest in another top player.

It’s where Pedro fits into United’s setup that’s troubling, though. Manager Louis van Gaal will likely play Wayne Rooney and Memphis Depay as the front two from the start, which could restrict Pedro to a wide role or a place on the bench.

Plus, if United’s next rumoured target makes the switch to Old Trafford, playing time could be even more scarce for the Spaniard.

Gareth Bale

Here we go again—more rumours on Real Madrid star Gareth Bale packing his bags and returning to England.

This time, though, it’s not Manchester United that want the winger in red, but new kit sponsor Adidas.

According to John Richardson of the Daily Express, the Red Devils haven’t given up on landing Bale due to Adidas’ desire to bring him to Old Trafford for marketing purposes. No, seriously.

Jul 29, 2014; Dallas, TX, USA; Real Madrid forward Gareth Bale (11) during the game against AS Roma at Cotton Bowl Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Kevin Jairaj-USA TODAY Sports

Richardson wrote that the Welshman would set United back a world-record transfer fee—believed to be over £86 million—but it hasn’t deterred executive vice chairman Ed Woodward.

That’s because the sports company are pumping £750 million into Old Trafford over the next 10 years to be on the famous kit, making the staggering transfer fee appear to be pocket change.

Plus, the Red Devils have David De Gea to use as bait in their pursuit of Bale and could well opt to table a player-plus-cash bid.

Still, it all seems rather ridiculous—Real Madrid being sponsored by Adidas until 2020 is one of many reasons why this is something of a head-scratching tale.

Should United land Pedro, their attacking line would be all but sorted. Instead, United need to focus on their shaky defence.

However, rumoured long-term target Nicolas Otamendi is apparently not on the club’s wish list—per James Robson of the Manchester Evening News:

Plus, the Sergio Ramos transfer saga is forever going against United, so Van Gaal needs to turn his attention elsewhere to land the perfect anchor in his defensive line.

The club will be bringing a centre-back in to steady the ship as it’s seemingly a necessity rather than a luxury, while any more attacking transfers after Pedro are unlikely.

Mbappé's Rollercoaster Season 🎢

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports
United States v Japan - International Friendly
FIFA World Cup 2026 Venues - New York New Jersey Stadium

TRENDING ON B/R