
Vladimir Guerrero Jr. Opens Up On Blue Jays Contract Talks, Eyed 'Much Less' Than Soto
Vladimir Guerrero Jr. and the Toronto Blue Jays couldn't agree on a deal before the start of spring training, but it wasn't because of unreasonable demands from Guerrero.
In an interview with ESPN's Enrique Rojas and Ernesto Jerez, Guerrero opened up on the failed negotiations between him and the Blue Jays, clarifying that he didn't ask for a record-setting deal like Juan Soto's 15-year, $765 million contract with the New York Mets.
"It's much less than Soto," Guerrero said. "We're talking about many fewer millions than Soto, more than a hundred million less…It was the same number of years [as Soto's contract], but it didn't reach 600 [million]. The last number we gave them as a counteroffer didn't reach 600."
TOP NEWS

Report: MLB Vet Unretires After 1 Day
.jpg)
Ranking Every Team's Farm System 📊

Livvy Dunne Explains Trending Reaction 🤣
Guerrero added that he's "looking for 14" years in his next contract but would like "even 20 if they give them to me."
Guerrero, still just 25 years old, will likely hit free agency for the first time in his career next offseason after failing to reach an extension with the Blue Jays. His potential departure from Toronto doesn't mean he won't put his best foot forward this year.
"There was an exchange [of salary figures]. The meetings lasted until the last day of the deadline but they [the Blue Jays and Guerrero's agents] couldn't reach an agreement on the numbers," he said. "But as I've always said, just because we couldn't reach an agreement, I'm not going to change the way I work. I have to keep working."
So far in spring training, Guerrero has a home run and three RBI with a .412 batting average. The Blue Jays open their season on March 27 against the Baltimore Orioles, when Guerrero will begin proving his worth ahead of a big offseason.







.jpg)
.png)

