
Matthew Stafford Rumors: Teams Feel Rams 'Know Something That We Don't Know' About QB
The Athletic's Dianna Russini believes there might be a hidden reason behind the Los Angeles Rams' decision to adjust Matthew Stafford's deal for only one more season.
Stafford is under contract for two more years, but Rams head coach Sean McVay said Monday the team would continue negotiating the deal on a yearly basis.
"I had somebody that was poking around on this... they feel like the Rams know something that we don't know, and I feel like teams feel that way," Russini told Chase Daniel at the 13:20 mark of Tuesday's Scoop City podcast.
TOP NEWS
.jpg)
Offseason Moves for Every Team 👉
.jpg)
2025 Draft Picks Ready For Leap 🐸

Jaguars' Hypothetical Alvin Kamara Trade Offer
Russini continued: "Why are you not giving him two years? What is it? It has to be an injury thing."
Russini also suggested there is some possibility the year-to-year negotiations could indicate McVay is hoping to "mold" a young quarterback in the near future.
Stafford, who turned 37 in February, had reportedly received trade interest from both the New York Giants and Las Vegas Raiders prior to the Rams' successful renegotiation of his contract.
The talks marked the second offseason in a row during which the Rams have worked out a restructuring of Stafford's contract.
Last year, the Rams moved forward $5 million of his future salary in order to bump his 2024 pay.
The details of Stafford's latest adjustment have not yet been revealed, but Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer reported he received a "very significant raise for 2025."
However, Breer noted Stafford's raise left him with less than what had been offered by the Giants and Raiders, and that the quarterback "loves South California, and loves playing for McVay."
McVay said Monday the Rams feel "really good" about having Stafford "as long as he wants to play."
"We've taken it a year at a time, and he's earned the right, I believe, to be able to say he can play for a few more years if that's what he wanted," McVay said Monday, per NFL.com's Kevin Patra. "But we've always had great dialogue, and I really kinda think it's been a year-to-year thing. He's obviously under contract for two more years with us, but as long as he wants to play, I know we're feeling really good about that."
McVay added: "Last year, it took about seven months. This year, about three weeks. So maybe it'll be about two, three days next year if we have to do this."
Stafford has struggled with injury in the past, but missed just three regular-season games over the last two seasons. He most recently led the Rams to a 10-6 record and one playoff win in his age-36 season.
.jpg)
.jpg)






.png)

