
NFL Insider: 'Lie' to Say Matthew Stafford, Rams Situation Wasn't 'A Rollercoaster'
The Los Angeles Rams and quarterback Matthew Stafford reportedly went through plenty of ups and downs before agreeing on a restructured contract last week, which will keep Stafford in L.A. in 2025.
Speaking Tuesday on her Scoop City podcast (beginning at the 10:30 mark), Dianna Russini of The Athletic said it would be a "lie" to say it was a "clean, not dramatic two weeks" between the parties involved prior to reaching a resolution:
TOP NEWS
.jpg)
Offseason Moves for Every Team 👉
.jpg)
2025 Draft Picks Ready For Leap 🐸

Jaguars' Hypothetical Alvin Kamara Trade Offer
Russini went on to call the situation between Stafford and the Rams a "rollercoaster," as there were some days when it felt like Stafford was done with the Rams and others when it appeared as though he wanted to make things work.
On Feb. 22, ESPN's Sarah Barshop reported that the Rams granted permission to Stafford's agent to speak to other teams about his market value.
Russini reported that the New York Giants and Las Vegas Raiders both had "significant interest" in Stafford, but the veteran quarterback ultimately decided to remain in Los Angeles.
Stafford, 37, has spent the past four seasons with the Rams after a 12-year run as a member of the Detroit Lions.
He has a 34-23 record as a starter with the Rams, leading them to three playoff appearances and one Super Bowl win during his tenure.
Russini noted that Stafford and Rams head coach Sean McVay have a great relationship, and McVay told reporters Monday that Stafford leaving "was never something that I ever thought would occur."
Had the Rams decided to move on from Stafford, they likely would have had to explore the possibility of replacing him with a veteran free agent such as Sam Darnold, Russell Wilson, Justin Fields or Aaron Rodgers.
Given that the Rams made it to the Divisional Round of the playoffs, they would not have been in position to land a franchise quarterback in the draft.
By locking in Stafford's return, the Rams likely ensured at least one more year of solid quarterback play, which would have been far from guaranteed had he left.
Now that the quarterback situation has been taken care of, the Rams can move on to other issues, including the status of veteran wide receiver Cooper Kupp, who announced last month that the Rams informed him they would trade him this offseason.
.jpg)
.jpg)






.png)

