
Abdul Carter Makes Case to Be No. 1 2025 NFL Draft Pick: 'Best Player in the Country'
Penn State pass-rusher Abdul Carter explained Wednesday why he believes he should be the No. 1 overall pick in the 2025 NFL draft.
Speaking at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, Carter told reporters: "I feel like I'm the best player in the country and the best player should be selected No. 1."
The Tennessee Titans own the No. 1 overall pick, and although they have a need at quarterback, both Carter and Colorado wide receiver/cornerback Travis Hunter are viable options if they decide to take a best-player-available approach.
TOP NEWS
.jpg)
Colts Release Kenny Moore

Projecting Every NFL Team's Starting Lineup 🔮

Rookie WRs Who Will Outplay Their Draft Value 📈
Earlier this month, Titans president of football operations Chad Brinker suggested that the organization won't reach for a quarterback such as Miami's Cam Ward or Colorado's Shedeur Sanders at No. 1 overall if they feel better players are on the board, saying they won't "pass on a generational talent."
Carter indicated Wednesday that the Titans may view him as the generational talent they are looking for, as he told reporters his meeting with the team went well, and he wants them to take him first overall.
It is possible the Titans may have tipped their hand a bit Wednesday, as ESPN's Adam Schefter reported that the Titans gave star pass-rusher Harold Landry III permission to seek a trade.
Landry, who was a Pro Bowler in 2021, has recorded 31.5 sacks over his past three seasons played, including a team-leading nine last season.
If the Titans are willing to trade a proven, productive pass-rusher like Landry, it could be a sign that they have their sights set on Carter.
The 21-year-old Carter is coming off a dominant 2024 campaign at Penn State, as he recorded 68 tackles, 12 sacks, 24 tackles for loss and two forced fumbles, all of which were career highs.
For his efforts, Carter was named an unanimous All-American, as well as the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year.
Despite dealing with a shoulder injury that may have kept him out of a less important game, Carter ended his collegiate career on a high note by registering five tackles and a sack in the Nittany Lions' College Football Playoff semifinal loss to Notre Dame.
That injury will keep Carter from working out at the combine, but his agents, Drew Rosenhaus and Robert Bailey, said this week that he should be good to go for his pro day.
Based on what he put out on tape last season, Carter has little left to prove ahead of the 2025 NFL draft, but he can perhaps solidify his status with some strong interviews.
Assuming the Titans stand pat at No. 1 overall and make the pick rather than trading, Carter has to be considered a strong candidate to be the top selection, along with Hunter, Ward and Sanders.

.png)



