
Matt Forte Contract: Latest News and Rumors on Negotiations with Bears
Chicago Bears star running back Matt Forte didn't attend Monday's voluntary workout program, raising speculation that he's vying for a new contract entering the final year of his current deal.
Continue for updates.
TOP NEWS
.jpg)
Colts Release Kenny Moore

Projecting Every NFL Team's Starting Lineup 🔮

Rookie WRs Who Will Outplay Their Draft Value 📈
Bears, Forte Comment on RB's Absence from Piccolo Awards, Workouts
Thursday, April 30
Forte, who has not attended the team's voluntary workouts, was absent from the Piccolo Awards ceremony on Tuesday where he was recognized for his "combination of courage, loyalty, teamwork, dedication and sense of humor," as his teammates voted on. Dan Wiederer of the Chicago Tribune reported the news.
Zach Zaidman of Chicago Bears Radio Network provided comments from Bears general manager Ryan Pace:
On April 28, Forte explained his absence on Instagram:
"So with all these media reports saying I'm skipping "voluntary" W/O to leverage a contract it's time to set the record straight. If the Bears want to give me a contract ext. they will; if they don't they won't. I'm not mad or holding a grudge. I don't operate like that. I'm not there because I'm finishing my third week of rigorous speed training in which we do not do at Halas hall. This was already my plan as of seasons end last year because after evaluating myself (which all players should do) I felt I was missing something. As for missing voluntary minicamp. There is OTA's (phase 2) and mandatory minicamp in which I will be present for. This is not an explanation of guilt. This is an explanation because I value you all as fans. But what I do not value is your opinion on what I should do to best prepare for the season. As for the piccolo award this training trip was planned long before our offseason schedule was released to us. I value this award greatly as it is my second time winning this prestigious award. Unfortunately my decision to work on my body and craft in preparation for the season did not coincide. I've come to realize that this year along with each reception or carry might be my last in a Bears uniform. So with that being said its all LOVE Chicago. #ialwaysshowup
"
Forte later elaborated on his stance during an appearance on The Boers and Bernstein Show on WSCR-AM 670, via Dan Wiederer of the Chicago Tribune:
"Like I told Ryan when we talked about it. I told him I wouldn’t hold any grudges or anything. Everybody says you could hold out and use it as leverage. I’m not that type of dude to do that at this point. … If they want to give me a contract extension and have me return as a Chicago Bear and play my entire career here, they can do that. If they don’t, then they won’t. It’s as simple as that. I’m not going to hold out.
(...)
The only thing I really regret by not being there is not asking them to, I guess, try to move the date (of the Piccolo Awards) so that I could be there. But I kind of thought about that and I figured that would kind of be high maintenance of me to be like, ‘Hey, can you move it just for me?’
"
Forte also spoke about his contract status and how it will impact his relationship with the organization:
""I understand both sides. And you have to as a player. Everybody likes to use the cliché saying, ‘Oh, it’s a business.’ But then when the player wants to make a business decision or treat it as a business, then he’s wrong. Or he gets pointed out as the bad guy.”
Forte insisted that he won’t let his disappointment become a lingering issue of bitterness as things move forward.
“At the end of the day, I’m not that type of guy to come to work like that, all angry and bitter and pout about ‘Oh, they’re running me into the ground,’” he said. “My job is to run the ball and catch the ball and do my best.”
"
Bears owner George McCaskey commented on Forte's absence:
""To me, it's like the guys deciding not to go to the draft," McCaskey said. "That's an intensely personal decision and I think that decision should be respected."
Still, the tension between Forte and the organization may not dissipate quickly. McCaskey said he couldn't say the level of communication the standout running back has had with his new general manager Ryan Pace and new head coach John Fox.
"I'm leaving that up to them," McCaskey said.
"
For now, the Bears have yet to put any significant heat on Forte for his absence. "That's a decision that Matt has got to make," McCaskey said. "His production has been fantastic and he's a valuable part of the organization and we're looking forward to getting him in here."
On April 13, Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune cited sources with knowledge of the situation that Forte was absent from Halas Hall. If Forte is indeed looking for a new deal, this was his only move, according to Biggs:
"The two-time Pro Bowl performer is due to earn $8.2 million this season, but $100,000 of that is tied to a workout bonus. Typically, the Bears require players to attend 85 percent of the voluntary offseason workouts to collect such a bonus. Not showing up is the only leverage Forte has in seeking an extension or perhaps a trade.
"
However, as Brings pointed out, Forte had his own plans, doing some training at Bommarito's in South Florida, per his Instagram account.
Forte dismissed the notion that he was attempting to incite a fresh contract:
Biggs reported that this was indeed planned: "Sources said Forte let it be known he would not be in attendance."
The 29-year-old veteran has been a workhorse and the foundation of Chicago's offense for years. Not only is he an accomplished ball-carrier, but Forte is also a prolific receiver. In 2014, he had 102 receptions—a record for his position—and posted a third straight 1,000-yard rushing season.
Nearing the age-30 barrier, where modern running backs are feared to decline significantly, Forte might do well to push for a final payday now.
With how erratic Chicago quarterback Jay Cutler tends to be, the Bears need Forte as they transition to a new regime that coach John Fox and general manager Ryan Pace will lead. This is especially tricky for Pace to handle in his first go on the job, but Forte seems to hold no ill will and says he's still committed despite the workout absence.
Only as the regular season gets closer will it be known for sure whether this will be a lingering issue.

.png)
.jpg)
.jpg)

.jpg)