Kansas City Chiefs' Jovan Belcher Shoots and Kills Girlfriend in Murder-Suicide

Farzin Vousoughian@farzin21Contributor IIIDecember 1, 2012

KANSAS CITY, MO - JANUARY 09:  Linebacker Jovan Belcher #59 of the Kansas City Chiefs celebrates a sack of quarterback Joe Flacco #5 of the Baltimore Ravens during their 2011 AFC wild card playoff game at Arrowhead Stadium on January 9, 2011 in Kansas City, Missouri.  (Photo by Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images)
Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images

Updated, 12:48 p.m.

According to Glenn Rice and Kevin Collison of The Kansas City Star, police have confirmed Jovan Belcher's identity.

Police Capt. David Lindaman said Belcher, 25, and his girlfriend, 22, got into an argument around 7 a.m. at their home in the 5400 block of Crysler Avenue in Kansas City. Around 7:50 a.m., Lindaman said, Belcher shot his girlfriend multiple times. She was taken to a hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/12/01/3943246/chiefs-player-kills-girlfriend.html#storylink=cpy

Updated, 12:08 p.m.

Kevin Kietzman of Sports Radio 810 out of Kansas City reports another update: "Belcher committed murder at 5400 block of Crisler then drove to Arrowhead complex and shot himself in parking lot. Coaches tres (sic) to stop him."

Belcher's involvement in the shooting has also been confirmed by Jason LaConfora of CBS Sports, "a team source told CBSSports.com that linebacker Jovan Belcher was involved in a shooting at the Chiefs' practice facility."

LaConfora also reported an official statement from the Chiefs, "We can confirm that there was an incident at Arrowhead earlier this morning. We are cooperating with authorities in their investigation."

According to KMBZ's E.J. Becker, Belcher took his own life in the presence of coaches and general manager Scott Pioli.

Updated, 10:07 a.m.

KCTV5 news is reporting two deadly shootings that are connected. Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher shot his girlfriend at one location and then himself at the Arrowhead practice facility, according to Kevin Kietzman of Sports Radio 810.

According to the report, Belcher shot and killed his girlfriend and then drove to the practice facility where he shot and killed himself.

The first shooting occurred at 54th Street and Chrysler Avenue, which is 11 minutes away from Arrowhead Stadium. The first shooting happened at 8 a.m. The second shooting happened shortly afterward at Arrowhead Stadium's practice facility.

Arrowhead security has also placed the practice facility on lockdown.

It's hard to imagine what the players are going through with a game set for kickoff in 26 hours from when the news broke. The Chiefs will host the Carolina Panthers tomorrow at Arrowhead Stadium. Panthers interim general manager Brandon Beane was told by the league to continue travel plans as scheduled.

The saddest part about this story is that Belcher and his girlfriend had a baby less than three months ago.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Chiefs organization and family members who lost a loved one in this shooting.