Alistair Overeem Situation Updates
MMAjunkie.com has reported that according to Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer, heavyweight contender Alistair Overeem has failed his pre-fight drug test that was taken following the UFC 146 press conference. It seems his title shot against Junior Dos Santos is in jeopardy.
MMAjunkie reports:
"Overeem's "A" sample was flagged for an elevated T/E ratio that exceeded 10-to-1, well over the 6-to-1 limit. Kizer said the heavyweight has the right to request the test's "B" sample, which, if negative, would make him eligible to receive a fight license.
"
With a heavyweight card lined up underneath, one must wonder if Dana White and the UFC brass will move someone up into the main fight if Overeem does indeed lose his shot.
**UPDATE: Wed. April 4, 5:18pm EST
The MMA Underground has also received word and lists the following on their site:
"Today the Nevada State Athletic Commission revealed that Alistair Overeem tested positive for an increased T/E ratio. This is the ratio between testosterone/epitestosteroneratio and is sometimes indicative of the use of steroids. The below was e-mailed to the Underground by Executive Director of the NSAC, Keith Kizer:
The following athletes were tested on March 27: Alistair Overeem, Junior dos Santos, Frank Mir, Cain Velasquez, Roy Nelson and Antonio Silva. All test results were negative, except Mr. Overeem tested positive for an increased T/E ratio (> 10). Mr. Overeem will need to appear before the Commission if he seeks licensure.
"
Last month at the UFC 146 press conference, the Nevada State Athletic Commission surprise tested six of the heavyweight fighters scheduled for May's event.
No official comment has been made by the UFC and it is unsure at this time if his heavyweight title bout with Junior dos Santos is canceled or not.
**UPDATE: Wed. April 4, 5:49pm EST
Bleacher Report has posted a debate article in regards to who should step in if Overeem loses his shot.
**UPDATE: Weds. April 4, 7:05pm EST
BJPenn.com has reported a quote from a media conference call in regards to Overeem's failed test:
"
“I am beyond pissed about this. I’m so (expletive) mad right now I can’t even begin … The worst part is that he sat in front of us and lied to us. How (expletive) stupid do you have to be? Seriously dumb. Anybody who’s using (performance-enhancing drugs) right now is an absolute (expletive) moron. It’s beyond — what’s the word I’m looking for — it’s beyond belief. It’s beyond comprehension. You’re an absolute moron, a brain-dead absolute (expletive) dummy. It goes beyond a guy have any common sense whatsoever… I don’t have a plan-B. It doesn’t look good, does it? It doesn’t look good.”
"
Website source: BJPenn.com
**UPDATE: Weds. April 4, 8:16pm EST
MMAFighting has also reported Frank Mir's statement sent out this afternoon by his management team about stepping in:
""I would be excited if given the opportunity to compete for the UFC's heavyweight title at UFC 146 if the reports released earlier today regarding Alistair Overeem failing his 'A' sample drug test are true,"
"I have been fortunate to be able to fight in the UFC for more than a decade, and it is a dream of mine to become the first three-time heavyweight champion in the UFC. Being able to fight Junior Dos Santos would put me one step closer to that dream."
"
Website source: MMAFighting
**UPDATE: Thurs. April 5, 7:23pm EST
Keith Kizer, Nevada Athletic Commission executive director, told Sherdog.com on Thursday that Overeem’s testosterone to epitestosterone (T/E) ratio was 14-to-1, more than double the allowable 6-to-1 ratio.
Website Source: Sherdog.com
*UPDATE: Sat. April 7, 11:08AM EST
It would seem that the most likely choice for replacement was Mir, but White stated on twitter, and reported by Bloody Elbow, that Mir would in fact still be facing Cain Velasquez. This leaves the lingering question if Mark Hunt might actually be considered, or if someone else will get bumped up.
"@danawhite please dont break up the mir/cain fight i really wanna see these guys bang,could be a really great fight
"
Dana White responded:
"@jimbefc Mir vs Cain will happen
"
Website Source: BloodyElbow.com
""


.jpg)







