Matt Hardy Kicked out of WWE-Sponsored Rehab for Drinking & Sent to Jail

David Bixenspan@davidbixFeatured ColumnistNovember 19, 2011

Matt Hardy (Photo by Gregory Davis)
Matt Hardy (Photo by Gregory Davis)

TMZ reported last night that after a little under two months in a WWE-sponsored inpatient drug rehab program, Matt Hardy was kicked out yesterday. This violated the terms of the release agreement that he signed after being arrested on drug charges in September, so he was sent home to North Carolina, arrested at the airport for violating a court order, and escorted to the Moore County Detention Center, where he's being held on a $1 million bond.Ā 

Reportedly, staff members at the rehab facility were suspicious of Hardy's behavior and gave him a breathalyzer test, which he failed. Hardy insisted that he hadn't been drinking alcohol and only failed the test because he had "just used mouthwash." Nobody believed him, so he was kicked out.

Hardy agreed to go to rehab after a September arrest, where he was charged with possession with intent to sell or deliver a schedule III controlled substance (vials containing 200 mL of anabolic steroids), possession of schedule I controlled substance (one tab of Ecstasy), maintaining a place to keep controlled substances, and possession of drug paraphernalia. All but the last charge (a misdemeanor) are felonies.

In the month leading up to the drug arrest, Hardy:

  • Was arrested for reckless driving.
  • Was arrested for driving while impaired after his car went off the road and into a tree and lost his job with TNA Impact Wrestling hours later.
  • Got into a car accident where he wasn't charged with anything but in hindsight seems pretty suspicious.
  • Went on an overnight bender where he publicly tweeted what appeared to be an attempted booty call message to girlfriend Reby Sky and got his home phone number wrong, dropped his phone in a hot tub, tore apart his house, recorded a bizarre YouTube video that showed a house in the aforementioned state, and then had to be rushed to the hospital after falling down a flight of stairs.
  • Was arrested for a second DWI when he picked up Sky at Raleigh-Durham International Airport in an embarrassing scene that was detailed extensively in the police report that TMZ posted.
  • Was subjected to the raid that led to the drug arrest after Sky called 911 and said Hardy was "strung out on pills and needed help."

After he came to the release agreement but before the arrest went public, Hardy announced that he was going to enter a drug rehab program as part of WWE's program where they pay for it for former WWE wrestlers and referees. He had been released by WWE last year after a string of strange incidents, ending what was effectively a 13-year run in the company (he was fired for a few months in 2005 but returned right before his severance pay period ended).

So, what happens next?

Hardy presumably has the resources to post bond and get released soon. Still, he fell off the wagon while in rehab and is now back out in the world, so it's disheartening to think about what the next news we hear from or about him will be.


The latest in the sports world, emailed daily.