DC United Books Spot In US Open Cup Final

ThomasSenior Writer IAugust 14, 2008

DCU's average season just got a whole lot better as they defeated the New England Revolution 3-1 at the RFK Stadium to book their spot at the US Open Final on September 3.

DC United opened the scoring less than four minutes into the game as right back, Bryan Namoff ran down the right side of the field and sent a cross into the box where Emilio calmly headed it into the net. Things, however, got worse for DCU in the first half as the Revolution repeatedly broke down the opposing defense.

Eventually, Adam Christman of the Revs managed to get a goal as the ball bounced off DCU's rookie Joe Germanese. United went back on the attack the rest of the half; however, each chance they had turned up nothing. The two sides went into the break at one goal a piece.

DCU came out into the second half with all guns blazing as they repeatedly took shots at the Rev's defense. Soon, United had their second goal as Moreno and Quaranta hooked up to complete some fancy passes that allowed Quaranta to chip the ball over the goalkeeper's head and into the goal. DC United were up, 2-1. 

However, the Revs once again came back with a counter-attack that tested DCU's goalkeeper Zach Wells. Fortunately for United, Wells was able to save the ball and allowed DCU to hold the lead.

DC's Bolivian midfielder, Moreno, soon led the attack yet again. While moving forward, Rev's winger, Thompson, blatantly fouled Moreno, earning the New England player his second yellow card and sending him off the field.

From then on, the game looked to be DCU's, but United wasn't happy with a 2-1 lead.  They kept testing and testing the Rev's defense until eventually, in the 81st minute, Emilio was able to get past New England's defense and score the icing on the cake for United. The game would finish with United up, 3-1.

With the semi-final victory against the Revs, DC United will now face Charleston Battery from the USL in the finals of the US Open Cup.  The Battery defeated fellow USL club Seattle Sounders in a penalty shoot-out after 120 minutes produced a 1-1 draw. 

This will be the first time DC United has played in the cup final since 1997, when they lost to the Dallas Burn on penalties.


The latest in the sports world, emailed daily.