By JOHN P. WISE
One Great Season
Everyone likes to make what they call their bold or fearless predictions before a new college football season begins. OGS, however, is not in the business of making predictions. We do, however, enjoy sharing the following truths with you, listed in no particular order:
1. Michigan will win seven games and advance to a lower-tier bowl and that will buy coach Rich Rodriguez another year.
2. A sophomore will again win the Heisman Trophy. Between Stanford's Andrew Luck, Pittsburgh's Dion Lewis, Virginia Tech's Ryan Williams and Oregon's LaMichael James, there are Heisman votes aplenty.
3. Lane Kiffin will continue to piss people off ... by winning. Southern Cal won nine games under Pete Carroll last year. The Trojans will win 10 in 2010.
4. The Pac-10 will be the most exciting conference race in college football this year. Oregon, Oregon State, USC, Washington, Stanford, California and Arizona all could have a chance.
5. Despite the losses of Jimmy Clausen and Golden Tate, Notre Dame will look noticeably better under Brian Kelly, and by November people will agree that the Irish will contend for a national championship by 2012.