NFLNBAMLBNHLWNBASoccerGolf
Featured Video
🚨 Mitchell Headed to 1st Conference Finals

Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Mayweather Jr. May Come Sooner Than Expected

Leo ReyesAug 7, 2010

There is no need for a tune up fight for Manny Pacquiao before he takes on Floyd Mayweather, Jr. early next year, if the American boxer can have Don King on board his team as his new promoter.

A good number of boxing fans have considered the proposed Pacquiao vs. Margarito match which promoter Bob Arum announced earlier, as more of a tune up fight for the pound-for-pound king in preparation for a date with Mayweather early next year.

But latest words from the Filipino boxer himself indicate that a Pacquiao-Mayweather match in November is still possible and therefore there is no need to fight Margarito in November as earlier announced by Arum.

TOP NEWS

Fox's "Special Forces" Red Carpet
Colts Jaguars Football

Pacquiao is pinning his hopes for a date with Mayweather, Jr. on Nov. 13 after promoter King came into the picture last week.

Here are the latest words from Pacquiao himself which appeared in his regular Philboxing column.

"I hope Mayweather is serious enough in doing business with Don King and is not doing this only to save face. I hope Don King does the same in return, that he can make miracles happen. I say this to both these men: Let's Get It On.

"Fight like warriors and brave men. I am the champion, I have the belts and I should not be the one challenging you. I should not even be the one trying to make this fight happen.

"But Pacquiao vs Mayweather is what everyone wants, that's why I am calling out your names. My promoter Bob Arum will be waiting for your call and will be very glad to hear what you have to say. The sooner, the better..

"This the only way for Mayweather to save face. Make the fight happen in November and stop using Mr. Don King for publicity stunts. He claims he is the best. He says he is No. 1. There is only one way to prove his greatness and that is to face me. I should be ready by November."

Coming directly from Pacquiao himself, these statements are guaranteed to keep boxing fans around the world on their toes again for the fight everyone in the world wants to see.

After the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight negotiation fell through when Arum's self-imposed deadline for Mayweather to sign the contract lapsed, the undefeated American boxer flew to Florida for a private talk with promoter Don King.

The talks led to a series of announcements on the possibility of having King on board as Mayweather's new promoter. Arum then joined the fray and together they talked about the possibility of having a fight contract between the two great boxers in a matter of days.

As Pacquiao said, fighting him is the only way Mayweather can save face.

Mayweather has not responded or commented on the latest statement by Pacquiao.

If King is indeed on board Mayweather's team, he is expected to respond to the the latest Pacquiao statements on behalf of Mayweather.

🚨 Mitchell Headed to 1st Conference Finals

TOP NEWS

Fox's "Special Forces" Red Carpet
Colts Jaguars Football
With Jayson Tatum sidelined, Celtics' fourth-quarter comeback falls short in Game 7 loss to 76ers
DENVER NUGGETS VS GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS, NBA

TRENDING ON B/R