The 2010 NHL Draft is almost here and with the Stanley Cup Finals over, we can finally speculate which young players may go where in the upcoming draft. Mock drafts are always fun and a hot topic for hockey fans, and this mock draft should be no different.
So, without further delay, here is a look at my mock draft for the 2010 NHL Draft as we are now less than three days away and many people are speculating who will go where.
Here is my take on what will happen.
1. Edmonton Oilers -Taylor Hall-LW-Windsor- Hall is clearly the best player in the draft and the Oilers won’t pass him up.
2. Boston Bruins -Tyler Seguin-C-Plymouth- The Bruins need the help and they can get it with a guy like Seguin.
3. Florida Panthers -Eric Gudbranson-D-Kingston- The Panthers could use the help on defense and Gudbranson is the best defenseman in the draft.
4. Columbus Blue Jackets -Cam Fowler-D-Windsor- If the Blue Jackets miss out on Gudbranson then Fowler should be there for them at No. 4.
5. New York Islanders -Alexander Burmistrov-C-Barrie- New York could use a center and Burmistrov should be there when they make their pick.
6. Tampa Bay Lightning -Brandon Gormley-D-Moncton- Tampa Bay could use a good defenseman in the lineup and Gormley could be an All-Star in the future at the position.
7. Carolina Hurricanes -Brett Connolly-RW-Prince George- Connolly, a gifted right winger, could help improve the Hurricanes overall.
8. Atlanta Thrashers -Nino Niederreiter-LW-Portland- The Thrashers could use a guy like Niederreiter who could end up being a solid starter in his first season with a team like Atlanta.
9. Minnesota Wild -Ryan Johansen-C-Portland- The Wild could use some additional youth and building through the draft would really help them out. Drafting Johansen would be a step in the right direction.
10. New York Rangers -Vladimir Tarasenko-LW-Sibir- If Tarasenko lasts this long the Rangers should take a look at look at drafting him here at No. 10.
11. Dallas Stars -Mikael Granlund-LW-HIFK- The Stars need help at several positions, especially at the LW position, and Granlund may be just the guy.
12. Anaheim Ducks -Riley Sheahan-LW-Notre Dame- Sheahan had a solid college career with the Fighting Irish and should have a solid career in the NHL.
13. Phoenix Coyotes -Jeff Skinner-C-Kitchener- The Coyotes will go for the best player left on the board at this point and get someone who can start for them sometime in the near term.
14. St. Louis Blues -Jack Campbell-G-USA The Blues need to start looking at getting some continuity at the goalie position so they should think about drafting Campbell here.
15. Boston Bruins -Derek Forbort-D-USA U-18 -The Bruins could use some help on defense and could develop Forbort into a starter in a short amount of time.
16. Ottawa Senators -Emerson Etem-LW-Medicine Hat -If the Senators want to get some help at the left wing position they would be wise to take Etem here and let him develop into a solid player at the position.
17. Colorado Avalanche -John Merrill-D-USA U-18 -Defensemen should be at the top of the Avalanche’s list heading into this draft and they get a good one if Merrill is still there and they select him.
18. Nashville Predators -Austin Watson-RW-Peterborough- Watson could help fill the need that the Predators have at the right wing position, and at this point in the draft he would be a smart pick.
19. Los Angeles Kings -Quinton Howden-LW-Moose Jaw- Howden would be a solid prospect for the Kings and someone that they could develop in a hurry.
20. Pittsburgh Penguins -Mark Pysyk-D-Edmonton- The Penguins should be thinking defense here and Pysyk is their kind of guy.
21. Detroit Red Wings -John McFarland-LW-Sudbury- The Wings need some help on the wings and McFarland could be a steal here at No. 21.
22. Phoenix Coyotes -Dylan McIlrath-D-Moose Jaw- The Coyotes took care of their big need at center and now can concentrate on defense by taking a good one in McIlrath.
23. Buffalo Sabres -Tyler Pitlick-C-Minnesota State- While Pitlick may end up going before the Sabres have a chance to get him, if he does fall to Buffalo, he could be a star for them in the very near future.
24. Atlanta Thrashers -Nick Bjustad-C-Blain (MN)- The Thrashers can add another quality player to the mix by grabbing Bjustad here to groom for the center position.
25. Vancouver Canucks -Jarred Tinordi-D-USA U-18 -This draft is going to be a good one for defensemen and Tinordi will end up being one of the best to come out of the draft this year.
26. Washington Capitals -Ryan Martindale-C-Ottawa 67’s -Washington can start to develop Martindale and in a short amount of time they could have one of the better players at that position in the NHL.
27. Montreal Canadiens -Jaden Schwartz-C-Tri-City -The Canadiens may want to start developing some young talent at the center position so taking Schwartz here wouldn’t be a bad idea.
28. San Jose Sharks -Tyler Toffoli-RW-Ottawa 67’s -The Sharks could use some help on the right side and Toffoli is the kind of guy that could develop quickly.
29. Anaheim Ducks -Ludwig Rensfeldt-LW-Brynas -This Swedish star has been doing well across the Atlantic so the Ducks may want to bring him over and get him ready to start along the Pacific.
3 0. Chicago Blackhawks -Stanislav Gailev-RW-Saint John - The NHL champs may have to reload a little bit and can start by adding Gailev to their squad.
Note: This does not reflect any trades made before the 16th of June.