MLS: Philadelpha Union Seeing Red after 2-1 Loss to Toronto FC

Phil Andrews@philandrewsWMCNCorrespondent IApril 16, 2010

TORONTO - APRIL 15: Martin Saric #25 and Amadou Sanyang #22 of Toronto FC rub out Alejandro Moreno #15 of Philadelphia Union during action at BMO Field April 15, 2010 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. (Photo by Abelimages/Getty Images)
Abelimages/Getty Images

For the second time in three games, the Philadelphia Union on the wrong end of a red card send off.

Talk about playing at a disadvantage, ten against eleven is certainly no way to make a living, as Philadelphia found out in their season opening loss at seattle.

In that game Philadelphia's Toni Stahl was sent off in the 40th minute after being shown a second yellow card.

At the time Seattle led 1-0, but quickly pushed it to a 2-0 advantage three minutes later.

Last night in the 34th minute, it was a straight red card send off for Union Captain Danny Califf. No yellow card warning needed, as Califf got called for an elbow to the head of Julian de Guzman, who had beaten Califf and had a clear path to a slow rolling ball headed toward the Philadelphia goal.

That send off setup the games first score, as Toronto's Dwayne De Rosario struck a free kick past a wall of Union defenders and into the fragile hands of Union keeper Chris Seitz.

It was a save Seitz should have made, but instead the ball deflected off his gloves and over the goal line, 1-0 Toronto. It was the second time in as many games a mishandled ball by Seitz has cost his team a goal (with the other being the second D.C. United goal in last week's game against Philadelphia).

I know that Seitz has been tabbed as the next great American goalkeeper, but through three games his play has been a bit suspect, especially on clearing plays.

The keeper job is Seitz's to lose, but If you listen closely you can almost hear Union backup Brad Knighton pealing back the velcro on a new package of goalkeeper mits.

Give Philadelphia credit however for not collapsing.

In first half stoppage time, 18-year-old Roger Torres served a nicely placed volley to Jordan Harvey inside Toronto's 18 and just off the far post. The first touch was nice and the second touch found the back of the net. 

Game tied one-all at half time.

It was a questionable call in the 81st minute that for all intensive purposes decided the outcome.

Seitz was called for taking down O'Brian White inside the 18. In my eyes the call was questionable because Seitz was cleary going for the ball, the referees assistant however saw it differently. No yellow card, but a penalty shot was awarded.

Seitz guessed correctly on which way to dive, but De Rosario's shot was just a bit too strong

Philadelphia and Toronto are both now 1-2 on the season, as the Union look to regroup before their April 24th trip up the Jersey Turnpike to play the New York Red Bull. Unfortunatley, they will have to play that game without Danny Califf, who will serve a one game suspension for his red card.

Scoring Summary :
TOR-Dwayne De Rosario (Free Kick) 35'
PHL-Jordan Harvey (Roger Torres,Sebastien Le Toux) First half stoppage time
TOR-Dwayne De Roasrio (Penalty kick) 82'