Kevin Harvick Wins Sam's Town 300

Bleacher ReportCorrespondent IFebruary 28, 2010

LAS VEGAS - FEBRUARY 27:  Kevin Harvick, driver of the #33 Rheem Chevrolet, celebrates in Victory Lane after winning the NASCAR Nationwide Series Sam's Town 300 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway on February 27, 2010 in Las Vegas, Nevada.  (Photo by Jerry Markland/Getty Images for NASCAR)
Jerry Markland/Getty Images

Qualifying made it in right before the rain started.

Driver introductions began and the rain started again.

The race was delayed for nearly 90 minutes while the rain came and went and the dryers went to work.

Finally, the race began. Almost immediately, Kevin Harvick and his No. 33 Rheem Chevrolet went to the front, taking over the lead from pole-sitter Brad Keselowski.

Harvick led most of the first half of the race, in between a few rain cautions and Kyle Busch took over the lead at the halfway point. From there, the lead changed between Carl Edwards, Denny Hamlin, and finally Harvick, who took over the lead until he grabbed the checkered flag.

The stands emptied at two pivotal moments before the end of the race.

The first time was when No. 7 GoDaddy.com driver Danica Patrick came together with No. 81 Monte Carlo driver Michael McDowell on lap 83. McDowell had a low rear bumper and came down the track, running into Patrick and taking them both into the wall. McDowell took 100 percent blame for the accident in his post-race interview.

They both went to garage and were done for the day. So were most of the fans.

Video Play Button
Videos you might like

The stands emptied a bit more when the race reached the halfway point and the rain started to come again, along with wind and a drop in temperature. Knowing the race would be official, the fans knew they could catch the race on the radio or TV.

A few notables from the race:

The first caution was brought out by JR Motorsports driver Kelly Bires when his No. 88 Hendrickcars.com Chevrolet hit the wall in Turn 1. He said the tire seemed to have gone down. Because of this, neither one of the JRM cars finished the race.

Trevor Bayne, driver of the No. 99 Aaron's Dream Machine Toyota, finished sixth, the highest finishing Nationwide regular. He started 18th, working his way steadily through the pack during his first visit to the track.

Kyle Busch, who at one point was leading the race, wound up finishing 16th after brushing the wall on lap 179, telling his team, “I'm done.”

Rusty Wallace Inc. had both of their cars in the top 15. Steven Wallace finished 10th and Brendan Gaughan finished 13th.

slash iconYour sports. Delivered.

Enjoy our content? Join our newsletter to get the latest in sports news delivered straight to your inbox!