"I'm done. That's it," he said. "It's been a long career. Went to the doctor. My liver and kidneys are shutting down. The stress is killing me. It's just about doing what's right. I just want to be in the Hall of Fame."
Earlier Tuesday morning, he told Peter King of The MMQB he was "strongly considering retiring" but "may return for one last season, at the right price."
Incognito then tweeted the following:
And King provided more details on Incognito's retirement:
"I am just done with the game," Incognito said, per Carucci. "I love it. ... It's time to move on. I want to play some golf."
The Bills officially placed Incognito on the reserve/retired list on Thursday, per Adam Schefter of ESPN.
Incognito fired his agents over Twitter on April 5:
Bills running back LeSean McCoy reacted to the news:
As for how Incognito's retirement impacts the Bills, Joe Buscaglia of WKBW in Buffalo and Mike Rodak of ESPN.com broke it down:
Incognito, 34, played for the Bills the past three seasons, earning a grade of 80.5 from Pro Football Focus last year, good for 12th among guards.
He's also had stints with the then-St. Louis Rams and Miami Dolphins—though he went unsigned in 2014 after being suspended in 2013 for bullying former NFL lineman Jonathan Martin while the two were teammates on the Dolphins—and has reached four Pro Bowls in his career.