NFLNBANHLMLBWNBARoland-GarrosSoccer
Featured Video
Mbappé's Rollercoaster Season 🎢
BORDEAUX, FRANCE - MARCH 31: Fabio Henrique Fabinho of Monaco during the French League Cup (Coupe de la Ligue) final between Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) and AS Monaco on March 31, 2018 in Bordeaux, France. (Photo by Jean Catuffe/Getty Images)
BORDEAUX, FRANCE - MARCH 31: Fabio Henrique Fabinho of Monaco during the French League Cup (Coupe de la Ligue) final between Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) and AS Monaco on March 31, 2018 in Bordeaux, France. (Photo by Jean Catuffe/Getty Images)Jean Catuffe/Getty Images

Manchester United Transfer News: Monaco's Fabinho Denies PSG Contact Rumours

Gianni VerschuerenApr 6, 2018

Reported Manchester United transfer target Fabinho has denied rumours he has already made contact with Paris Saint-Germain to facilitate a transfer to the French capital. 

As reported by L'Equipe (h/t ESPN FC's Ian Holyman), the Monaco man told reporters the speculation was a tactic used to undermine his club ahead of the Coupe de la Ligue final last week, which Les Parisiens won 3-0. He also said his focus remains on his current club:

"I knew it was just something to try to stir things up a bit here at the club, because there has been no contact with me or my agent. It was just to stir things up a bit. I don't think Paris need that, but it's something that could help them. I think it was just a bit like a game. It's finished.

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports

"My attitude now is I want to do my best to get second place. It's not going to be easy, there are two teams behind us who are playing to win and have good squads to be able to go for second place too,.

"I'm focused on that. I'm not thinking about a possible transfer or the summer transfer window that's coming up. I'm just focused on football."

Per the report, Fabinho hasn't made a secret of the fact he nearly joined PSG last summer, and he has admitted the failed transfer has impacted his form. The French media still expect him to move to the capital, and ESPN FC's Jonathan Johnson put these latest comments into context:

Some of their British colleagues disagree, however. Warren Haughton of The Sun (h/t TalkSport) previously reported United is the 24-year-old's preferred destination.

Fabinho was a crucial piece of Monaco's title-winning squad last season, but while many of his high-profile team-mates earned transfers in the summer, he did not. Without the likes of Kylian Mbappe, Benjamin Mendy and Bernardo Silva, the team predictably dropped back down to Earth.

The Ligue 1 champions will likely lose their title this season and face a tough challenge from the teams below them in the race for a UEFA Champions League ticket.

Fabinho's spotty form has been an issue for the team, as the Brazilian hasn't been the same dynamic force he was last season. 

That won't stop clubs from making their move in the summer, however. As noted by Holyman, Fabinho has been open about his desire to move and how the lack of transfer has weighed him down.

Which club that will be remains a big question mark. While French observers appear adamant he's destined for PSG, their financial fair play situation could complicate matters. Big-money moves for Neymar and Kylian Mbappe will have to be balanced out, and Les Parisiens have other, more pressing needs that will need addressing, including the goalkeeper position.

United are expected to spend big in the summer and prioritise the search for a central midfielder with Fabinho's profile. They could use their financial might to convince the Brazilian to join, and Monaco would undoubtedly rather sell their man to a foreign club.

Mbappé's Rollercoaster Season 🎢

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports
United States v Japan - International Friendly
FIFA World Cup 2026 Venues - New York New Jersey Stadium

TRENDING ON B/R