NFLNBANHLMLBWNBARoland-GarrosSoccer
Featured Video
Steelers got a LOT better this offseason
ROME, ITALY - DECEMBER 30:  Radja Nainggolan of AS Roma in action during the serie A match between AS Roma and US Sassuolo at Stadio Olimpico on December 30, 2017 in Rome, Italy.  (Photo by Giuseppe Bellini/Getty Images)
ROME, ITALY - DECEMBER 30: Radja Nainggolan of AS Roma in action during the serie A match between AS Roma and US Sassuolo at Stadio Olimpico on December 30, 2017 in Rome, Italy. (Photo by Giuseppe Bellini/Getty Images)Giuseppe Bellini/Getty Images

Chelsea Transfer News: Latest Rumours on Radja Nainggolan and David Luiz

Gill ClarkJan 6, 2018

Chelsea are reportedly interested in signing Radja Nainggolan from Roma in January, while the Blues are said to be willing to allow David Luiz to leave on loan.

Antonio Conte has long wanted to bring Nainggolan to Stamford Bridge, and the club will renew their interest as the midfielder's relationship with Roma has been damaged recently, per Alessio Alaimo at TuttoMercatoWeb (h/t James Benson at the Daily Express).

Roma have dropped and fined Nainggolan after he posted a video of himself on social media drinking and smoking on New Year's Eve, per Football Italia.

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports

Roma coach Eusebio Di Francesco explained why the midfielder had been left out of the squad for Saturday's clash with Atalanta:

In an Instagram story, Nainggolan apologised for his actions and said that "he went a little too far," per ESPN FC's Ben Gladwell.

Sportscaster Bolarinwa Olajide has said there is interest in the Belgian from Chinese Super League side Guangzhou Evergrande:

Speaking back in October Conte said that he tried to buy Nainggolan for Chelsea and described him as "one of the best midfielders," per Matt Law at the Telegraph.

Roma sporting director Monchi has said the club still have faith in the 29-year-old:

Conte clearly seems to be an admirer of Nainggolan and would like to bring in more players, despite having already landed Ross Barkley from Everton, per Ian Winrow at the Independent.

However, signing Nainggolan will be difficult, even in light of recent events, as he is a key player for the Giallorossi.

He has also said previously that he has turned down the chance to move to Chelsea, per Sky Sport Italy (h/t David Wright at the Daily Express).

Meanwhile, Luiz is available for loan, as he no longer features in Conte's plans, according to David Woods at the Daily Star.

Chelsea's Brazilian defender David Luiz warms up on the pitch ahead of the English Premier League football match between Liverpool and  Chelsea at Anfield in Liverpool, north west England on November 25, 2017. / AFP PHOTO / Paul ELLIS / RESTRICTED TO EDIT

Manchester United and Arsenal are both interested although Chelsea would prefer him to move abroad and a deal with Juventus "is possible."

Luiz was dropped after Chelsea's UEFA Champions League draw with Roma in October and also suffered a knee injury that has kept him out of action.

He made his first appearance since October in Saturday's FA Cup tie with Norwich, as part of a much-changed side, per the Evening Standard's Vaishali Bhardwaj:

However, Luiz faces a difficult battle to get back into the first team on a regular basis, not least because of the form of Andreas Christensen.

The 21-year-old has broken into the team this season and showed he is better than the world's most expensive defender Virgil van Dijk, per Simon Johnson at the Evening Standard:

Luiz has fallen down the pecking order at Chelsea, and it's possible he could be allowed to leave in January should the Blues receive an acceptable offer.

Steelers got a LOT better this offseason

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports
United States v Japan - International Friendly
FIFA World Cup 2026 Venues - New York New Jersey Stadium

TRENDING ON B/R