NFLNBANHLMLBWNBARoland-GarrosSoccer
Featured Video
Mitchell Headed to 1st Conference Finals 🔥
Credit: WWE.com

WWE Rumors: Buzz on Road to WWE Great Balls of Fire 2017 for Week of Jun. 22

Aaron BowerJun 22, 2017

Splits, shocks and imminent returns: it's been another turbulent and busy week in WWE.

And as is so often the case, the rumor mill is in overdrive once again speculating what's set to happen in the short-term and the long-term in regards to the company's plans.

This week, there's news of an likely return to the company for one former star, as well as news of a break-up or two on Raw.

We already know Enzo and Cass are going to collide at some point, but what are the long-term plans for Big Cass as both men start solo careers?

And there's news of a big match already planned for WrestleMania 34 next year.

Here's this week's rumor roundup.

Shelton Benjamin Finally Headed Back to WWE

1 of 4

Around the time of the brand split last year, WWE's announcement that Shelton Benjamin was returning to the company to join SmackDown Live certainly got people excited.

And why not? During his first run with the company, Benjamin quickly established himself as one of the most underrated wrestlers on the roster, both as a member of a tag team with Charlie Haas and as a singles competitor.

Injury ultimately put Benjamin on the shelf and scuppered any chance of a return, but it seems that is all about to change once again.

Pro Wrestling Sheet's Ryan Satin reported this week that Benjamin and WWE have entered talks once again. And like before, Benjamin is headed to SmackDown Live.

Benjamin has been cleared for a few months now, per Satin's report, and it seems like Tuesday nights are about to be given a significant boost with the return of The Gold Standard.

Maryse Done with WWE for a While?

2 of 4

It's been an interesting couple of weeks for The Miz's character.

Monday night saw him recruit Bo Dallas and Curtis Axel as part of his entourage, but it looks like Miz and Maryse are kayfabe going their own ways. 

He has been attempting to reconcile with his wife for a couple of weeks now, but things haven't worked out as planned.

And WrestlingInc's Raj Giri reported this week that while it does look like WWE is splitting them up, there is a reason behind it.

Giri's report goes on to mention comments made by Dave Meltzer on Wrestling Observer Radio, suggesting that because of Maria and Mike Kanellis debuting on SmackDown Live, the company only want one on-screen husband and wife team.

Meltzer said: "The end result is that they're doing Curtis Axel and Bo Dallas as Miz's new entourage and they're dumping Maryse, I guess with the idea that because they've got Maria and Mike Bennett on the other brand, they don't want another husband and wife team or something?"

Furthermore, when asked if Maryse was done with WWE for the time being, Meltzer said: "It looks like it."

Reigns vs. Cena at WrestleMania 34?

3 of 4

With Samoa Joe's rivalry with Brock Lesnar getting off to a decent start, it's difficult to predict how WWE Universal Championship plans will go down this summer.

Guys like Braun Strowman and Roman Reigns look decent bets to step into the title picture at some point, and one report this week certainly seems to suggest that will be the case.

Reigns announced on Raw this week that he wanted the winner of Joe vs. Lesnar at SummerSlam, leading to Strowman's triumphant return. And Cageside Seats' Randall Ortman reported this week that if Reigns gets his shot, he is down to win the belt and hold it for a long while.

How long? Right through to WrestleMania 34, where he would face none other than Cena.

Of course, with Cena being a free agent, he could have already won world title number 17 by then. Jinder Mahal looks to be an obvious fit for Cena's return to TV, after all.

But it's interesting that plans for Mania are already being cautiously put together.

TOP NEWS

WRESTLING: OCT 02 AEW Dynamite/Rampage Pittsburgh
Monday Night RAW

Big Plans for Big Cass?

4 of 4

One of WWE's most popular tag teams broke up in spectacular fashion on Monday night when Big Cass revealed himself to be Enzo Amore's mystery attacker.

With his look, his ability on the mic and more, it's obvious Cass is the kind of guy who could quickly ascend the ladder in WWE, and that certainly appears to be the case per rumors this week.

Cageside Seats' Ortman reported this week that the company has "some big plans in place for Big Cass by the end of the year".

In a later report, Ortman also revealed that in the immediate term, he is slated for a bout with Amore at Great Balls of Fire before turning his sights on Big Show at SummerSlam.

But clearly, the plans and the push for Cass go way beyond those two bouts.

It'll be interesting to see how quickly and how highly he is pushed in the weeks and months ahead. Expect things to move pretty quickly.

Mitchell Headed to 1st Conference Finals 🔥

TOP NEWS

WRESTLING: OCT 02 AEW Dynamite/Rampage Pittsburgh
Monday Night RAW
Monday Night RAW
WrestleMania 42

TRENDING ON B/R