
Manchester United Transfer News: Latest on Jose Fonte, Gelson Martins Rumours
Manchester United summer target Jose Fonte has admitted he is still waiting to receive an improved contract offer from current club Southampton, potentially giving the Red Devils a boost should they want to make a bid for him.
Per Peter Howard in the Southern Daily Echo, the 32-year-old centre-back said no new deal had been agreed to extend his contract past its end in June 2018: "There’s nothing on the table, so I’m waiting. I’ll see what happens. I’m just focusing on performing above all, and we’ll see what happens. We haven’t agreed anything, so it’s just talks."
TOP NEWS

Madrid Fines Players $590K 😲

'Mbappé Out' Petition Gaining Steam 😳

Star-Studded World Cup Ad 🤩
As reported by Samuel Luckhurst in the Manchester Evening News, Fonte was "identified by [manager] Jose Mourinho as a senior defender to offer United's central defence additional experience" in the summer, but the Red Devils never made a bid for him after Marcos Rojo remained at Old Trafford.
The Portugal international—who starred for his national team as they won Euro 2016 in the summer—could still be a terrific addition at United, though, as their defence lacks depth.
Rojo has done little to prove that he is worth keeping any longer, particularly after a dire performance in the defeat to Feyenoord in the UEFA Europa League, per Squawka's David O'Brien:
Matteo Darmian is unlikely to be picked for any major match as he is reportedly hugely out of favour with Mourinho, per Tuttosport (via Aaron Flanagan in the Mirror).
Meanwhile, per Luckhurst, Phil Jones—who has not played for the first team since Jan. 2—has picked up another injury and would not add a huge amount to the United side even if he were fit.
As a result, United's current legitimate options across the defence include Eric Bailly, Chris Smalling, Daley Blind, an injury-prone Luke Shaw and an out-of-position Antonio Valencia—who has nevertheless started the season well at right-back.
That is a precarious situation for Mourinho, and the addition of Fonte would be a big improvement.
He has great experience and is technically proficient on the ball. If Saints do not tie him to a new deal soon, United would be well advised to move for the Portuguese to ease the pressure on their defensive options.

Elsewhere, United are reportedly "monitoring" another Portuguese player in the shape of Sporting Lisbon's 21-year-old winger Gelson Martins.
According to Record (via ESPN FC's Jack Rathborn), Real Madrid are also interested in the youngster after he excelled against Los Blancos in their UEFA Champions League clash earlier this month.
Per Opta, Martins was electric against Real, exhibiting no signs whatsoever of being daunted by the big occasion and showing off his great skill when running with the ball:
Rathborn's report noted that Sporting are keen to sign Martins to a new deal, while the Portuguese club's manager, Jorge Jesus, said "in Portugal there is no one like him."
If United were to pull off the signing, Martins would follow in the footsteps of Cristiano Ronaldo and Nani as wingers who have swapped Sporting for Old Trafford.



.jpg)







