X

Ray Rice: Latest News, Rumors and Speculation on Free-Agent RB

Tyler Conway@jtylerconwayFeatured Columnist

CARSON, CA - JANUARY 23:  Running back coach Ray Rice of the National Team looks on from the sideline during the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl between the American Team and the National Team at StubHub Center on January 23, 2016 in Carson, California. The National Team defeated the American Team 18-17.  (Photo by Victor Decolongon/Getty Images)
Victor Decolongon/Getty Images

Free-agent running back Ray Rice may be getting a second chance at playing in the NFL after being released by the Baltimore Ravens in September 2014.

Continue for updates.


Lions Not Interested in Rice

Thursday, Sept. 22

"[Detroit Lions] exec texted to squash any talk team interested in [Rice]: 'We are NOT signing [Rice], never have even discussed him. 1000% false,'" noted ESPN's Adam Schefter on Wednesday.


Rice Likely to Get Another NFL Shot

Wednesday, Sept. 14

TMZ Sports reported, citing sources, that "multiple teams" are inquiring about Rice.

Schefter reported on Sept. 11 that there is a "growing sense" a team will sign Rice at some point during the 2016 NFL season. 


Rice Has Pushed for Return to the League Since Suspension

Rice, 29, has not played in a regular-season NFL game since December 2013. The Ravens released him in 2014 after video of him punching his then-fiancee in a casino elevator was leaked to media outlets. The league had previously suspended the veteran back two games for the incident, which at that point had only been reported via a police report.

No team has given Rice a formal workout since his Ravens release. Schefter's report highlights the Buffalo Bills and Cleveland Browns as teams that once considered signing Rice.

In an interview on the B-More Opinionated podcast with CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora and 105.7 FM's Jerry Coleman, Rice said Browns ownership quashed a potential signing:

My agents went back and forth with those guys (the Browns). I don't want to say it was that close, but my deal is a lot different than other guys. I totally understand that, and I'm not sitting up here pounding my chest saying, 'Yeah, I deserve a second chance.' But I would be grateful if I had the opportunity to go out there and finish this chapter the right way.

Video Play Button
Videos you might like

Rice rushed for 6,180 yards and 37 touchdowns in his six NFL seasons. He went over the 1,000-yard mark four consecutive times and was named to three Pro Bowls.

Since his NFL departure, he's become an outspoken proponent of domestic violence awareness. He and his then-fiancee reconciled and later married, with Rice publicly apologizing and pledging his support to domestic violence groups in multiple interviews. In July, Rice told Tom Pelissero of USA Today that he would donate his salary to domestic violence groups if signed. 

"Me donating my salary is something that’ll be from the heart for me," Rice said. "I only want to play football so I can end it the right way for my kids and for the people that really believed in me. But I know there’s a lot of people affected by domestic violence, and every dollar helps. It’s raising awareness."

Schefter reported on Sept. 11 that it was likely Rice would be signed after the Week 1 slate. As a vested veteran, his salary would have been guaranteed if he were on an opening-week roster. If he's signed now, his deal is no longer guaranteed. 

Follow Tyler Conway (@jtylerconway) on Twitter.

slash iconYour sports. Delivered.

Enjoy our content? Join our newsletter to get the latest in sports news delivered straight to your inbox!