NFLNBANHLMLBWNBARoland-GarrosSoccer
Featured Video
Mbappé's Rollercoaster Season 🎢
NAPLES, ITALY - AUGUST 01:  Napoli's player Kalidou Koulibaly looks during the pre-season friendly match between SSC Napoli and OGC Nice at Stadio San Paolo on August 1, 2016 in Naples, Italy.  (Photo by Francesco Pecoraro/Getty Images)
NAPLES, ITALY - AUGUST 01: Napoli's player Kalidou Koulibaly looks during the pre-season friendly match between SSC Napoli and OGC Nice at Stadio San Paolo on August 1, 2016 in Naples, Italy. (Photo by Francesco Pecoraro/Getty Images)Francesco Pecoraro/Getty Images

Chelsea Transfer News: Latest on Kalidou Koulibaly Rumours, Fresh Pedro Talk

Matt JonesAug 22, 2016

Chelsea are to reportedly miss out on Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly, with the Senegal international said to be close to signing a contract extension with the Serie A side.

According to Jason Burt of the Daily Telegraph, the Blues were ready to offer a whopping £60 million to the Partenopei to secure the signature of the centre-back. However, according to L’Equipe’s Bilel Ghazi (h/t Get French Football News, via the Daily Telegraph) Koulibaly is ready to commit his future to Napoli.

New Chelsea manager Antonio Conte needs to add some defensive options to his squad, with concerns lingering over the ageing John Terry, inconsistent Gary Cahill and raw Kurt Zouma.

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports

Here’s a look at why Koulibaly is said to have been targeted:

That Chelsea were reportedly ready to part with £60 million for the defender shows not only how much the manager feels they need to increase their numbers at the back, but how highly they rate Koulibaly. And it’s an esteem that’s not without credence, as the centre-back enjoyed a remarkable 2015-16 season.

Chelsea's Italian head coach Antonio Conte reacts on the touchline during the English Premier League football match between Watford and Chelsea at Vicarage Road Stadium in Watford, north of London on August 20, 2016. / AFP / Ian Kington / RESTRICTED TO ED

The defender was colossal at the base of Maurizio Sarri’s vibrant Napoli side. Koulibaly relishes physical battles, is dominant in the air and has the turn of speed to track runs made into spaces by opposition centre-forwards. They’re traits that’d see the 25-year-old excel if he was to try his hand in English football.

These numbers from WhoScored.com point to another area in which Koulibaly excels, showing how he's able to get attacks started with incisive forward passing:

Having lost Gonzalo Higuain this summer, the Naples club would be under no financial pressure to cash in on Koulibaly, which is why they can set such a high asking price for his services and give themselves time to convince the player to stay. For Chelsea, it looks as though not getting this deal wrapped up quickly will be costly.

Valencia Plotting Pedro Move

BREMEN, GERMANY - AUGUST 07:  Pedro of Chelsea looks on during the pre-season friendly match between Werder Bremen and FC Chelsea at Weserstadion on August 7, 2016 in Bremen, Germany.  (Photo by Boris Streubel/Getty Images)

According to John Cross of the Daily Mirror, Valencia are looking to raise the funds required to test Chelsea’s resolve to keep winger Pedro at the club.

Indeed, it’s suggested the Spanish side will demand £50 million from Arsenal to agree to the sale of Shkodran Mustafi, as they want to recoup as much as possible to power their pursuit of the former Barcelona winger.

“Valencia’s director of football Jesus Garcia Pitarch is due in London to have talks with Chelsea and Pedro in the hope they can do a deal,” Cross continued.

After a brilliant start to his Chelsea career, Pedro has stagnated, and he was unable to show his best form for the remainder of his debut term in England. The chance to move back to La Liga, where he has previously excelled, may appeal to the Spain international, especially at a team like Valencia where he’d instantly become a key man.

Here is a look at some of his best moments during his time at Barcelona:

Pedro is the type of footballer that Conte will love to have in the squad, though. One of the hallmarks of his time at Barcelona was the hard work the 29-year-old put in, showing brilliant energy to cover the full-back and then an appetite to get into the box and score goals.

Conte started Pedro against Watford in the Blues’ second game of the Premier League season, so it’s clear he values his qualities. As such, you sense the player will have to agitate for a move before the Blues ponder a sale.

Mbappé's Rollercoaster Season 🎢

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports
United States v Japan - International Friendly
FIFA World Cup 2026 Venues - New York New Jersey Stadium

TRENDING ON B/R