NFL
HomeScoresDraftRumorsFantasyB/R 99: Top QBs of All Time
Featured Video
EPIC NFL Thanksgiving Slate 🙌
SAN JOSE, CA - FEBRUARY 01:  Charles Johnson #95 of the Carolina Panthers addresses the media at Super Bowl Opening Night Fueled by Gatorade at SAP Center on February 1, 2016 in San Jose, California.  (Photo by Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images)
SAN JOSE, CA - FEBRUARY 01: Charles Johnson #95 of the Carolina Panthers addresses the media at Super Bowl Opening Night Fueled by Gatorade at SAP Center on February 1, 2016 in San Jose, California. (Photo by Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images)Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images

Charles Johnson Reportedly to Re-Sign with Panthers

Daniel KramerMar 5, 2016

The Carolina Panthers released Charles Johnson on March 3 after he spent nine seasons with the team, and despite interviewing with other teams, it appears the veteran defensive end will remain in Carolina.

Continue for updates.


TOP NEWS

Colts Jaguars Football
Rams Seahawks Football
Mississippi Football

Johnson to Re-Sign with Panthers

Tuesday, March 8

After visiting with the New York Giants, Johnson has decided to return to the Panthers, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter. The deal is worth $3 million, according to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, who added he turned down $6 million from other teams. 

“I came pretty close, but ultimately my heart is in Carolina," said Johnson, per ESPN's Josina Anderson"It’s not about the money. Carolina is home and I wouldn’t have been happy if I went somewhere else," Johnson added


Johnson Visiting with Buccaneers

Tuesday, March 8

Greg Auman of the Tampa Bay Times passed along confirmation from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers that Johnson is visiting the team facility on Tuesday.

On March 6, ESPN's Adam Schefter cited league sources when reporting that Johnson would visit the Buccaneers.


Johnson Meets with Giants

Sunday, March 6

Johnson had dinner with members of the Giants organization Sunday, according to ESPN's Josina Anderson, who added she was told it "went well." 

Given the uncertain future of unrestricted free agents Jason Pierre-Paul and Robert Ayers, it makes sense that the Giants are pursuing other pass-rushing options. 

Conventional logic might suggest the Giants should pursue such options in the draft—going younger—but they’re covering all bases by meeting with Johnson.

The Giants ranked dead last in total defense (420.3 yards per game) and were the third-worst in scoring defense (27.6 points per game allowed) last season. 

The pass rush the team rode to wins in Super Bowls XLII and XLVI is long gone. The Giants defense registered the third-fewest sacks in the league last season with 23.


Johnson Struggled to Stay Healthy in 2015

Carolina released Johnson largely because of his $15 million cap hit, per Kevin Patra of NFL.com, coupled with his recent injury history after he missed seven games last year. 

Tom Pelissero of USA Today reported the team offered Johnson a chance to return at a lower rate:

In all likelihood, Johnson probably wanted the opportunity to test the free-agency waters to gauge his market value. He’s spent his entire career with the Panthers, and will be there for at least one more season. 

EPIC NFL Thanksgiving Slate 🙌

TOP NEWS

Colts Jaguars Football
Rams Seahawks Football
Mississippi Football
Packers Bears Football

TRENDING ON B/R