The Bills shared an image of Bush signing his contract, while Chris Brown of BuffaloBills.com reported that kicker Marshall Morgan was released to make room for Bush:
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport was first to report the move.
Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News reported that the deal is for one year and worth "up to $3 million." Rapoport noted that Bush's physical was "fine" and that he'd "likely" practice on Tuesday. On Saturday, ESPN.com's Mike Rodak reported the deal was worth $1 million in base salary, with a $375,000 signing bonus and $125,000 roster bonus.
Bush is coming off a forgettable campaign with the San Francisco 49ers during which he tallied just 12 touches for 47 yards and no touchdowns across five games. He dealt with a lingering calf injury, and then his season came to a premature end when he suffered a torn meniscus after a freak incident during a game in St. Louis.
Injuries have become common for the 6'0" back over the years. He's appeared in all 16 regular-season games just twice during his 10 seasons in the NFL and not since 2012, when he was with the Miami Dolphins.
Bush is a dual-threat back with big-play ability when healthy. He's an ideal third-down option because of how comfortable he is as a pass-catcher out of the backfield. He made no fewer than 34 receptions in each of his first nine years in the league.
In December, Bush told Janie McCauley of the Associated Press that he was focused on getting into playing shape for the 2016 season:
Until I officially decide to be done with this game I'm going to give it 110 percent whether it's rehabbing, whether it's in the weight room, whether it's on the football field. That's always been my motivation. ... I've always given my full attention to this game until I'm done with it, because I don't want to have any regrets when I'm done.
In February, Bush told reporters he was not finished playing: "I'm not retiring. I'm still playing. No, I'm not done. And I would never—knock on wood—I never want to end my career like that, going out with that."
The pressure is on for him to showcase a return to form after failing to do so last season, especially if he wants to keep playing for a while.
Bush should get that opportunity in Buffalo. Starter LeSean McCoy suffered several injuries during his first season with the Bills in 2015, and the previously sturdy depth chart behind him has become shaky in recent weeks.
Backup Karlos Williams was suspended four games for violating the league's substance abuse policy, and he was already drawing criticism for offseason weight issues. Another reserve, Jonathan Williams, was arrested for DWI in mid-July.
That leaves Bush to compete against Mike Gillislee, Boom Herron and James Wilder Jr. for playing time. So, while there's no guarantee he can still be a playmaker, the door is open for Bush to earn a meaningful role.