It seems as though free-agent safety Eric Weddle will be on his way out of the Chargers organization.
Continue for updates.
Weddle, Chargers Set for Ugly Split-Up
Tuesday, Jan. 5
Speaking with the San Diego Union-Tribune's Michael Gehlken on Tuesday, Weddle said that he "probably won't ever speak to them [the Chargers] again."
The tension all began in the offseason before the 2015 season.
Weddle, who at the time was preparing for his ninth season with the San Diego Chargers, was originally told by the team it would negotiate a contract extension with him this year, according to the Union-Tribune's Kevin Acee, who noted "the Chargers had previously said publicly and privately that they would do so." However, the Chargers then informed Weddle on June 1 they would not negotiate this year.
Then in Week 15, the team fined Weddle $10,000 for watching his daughter perform during halftime. He was soon placed on injured reserve with a groin injury. But according to Eric D. Williams of ESPN.com, Weddle not only looked healthy, but he was running full sprints at practice just to prove he was good to go.
Yet he didn't play in the team's final game of the season in Week 17 against the Denver Broncos, something that didn't sit well with his agent, David Canter:
Weddle had spent all nine seasons of his career with the Chargers, with whom he developed into one of the better safeties in the league.
A three-time Pro Bowler and two-time first-team All-Pro, Weddle anchored the Chargers defense as a consistent performer and one who would do everything asked of him, whether on defense or special teams.
For a team that has plenty of changes on the horizon—it filed for relocation to Los Angeles on Monday, per Sam Farmer and Nathan Fenno of the San Diego Union-Tribune—Weddle's departure will be just a small one for the Chargers organization. But his absence will leave a big void in the team's defense.
Stats courtesy of Pro-Football-Reference.com.