NFLNBANHLMLBWNBARoland-GarrosSoccer
Featured Video
Steelers got a LOT better this offseason
FC Barcelona’s coach Luis Enrique wearing the gold medal gestures after beating River Plate 3-0 in their final match at the FIFA Club World Cup soccer tournament in Yokohama, near Tokyo, Sunday, Dec. 20, 2015. (AP Photo/Shizuo Kambayashi)
FC Barcelona’s coach Luis Enrique wearing the gold medal gestures after beating River Plate 3-0 in their final match at the FIFA Club World Cup soccer tournament in Yokohama, near Tokyo, Sunday, Dec. 20, 2015. (AP Photo/Shizuo Kambayashi)Shizuo Kambayashi/Associated Press

Barcelona Transfer News: Luis Enrique Forms 3-Man Shortlist, Latest Rumours

Rob BlanchetteDec 30, 2015

Barcelona coach Luis Enrique has urged his board to sign one player from a three-man list, as he eyes Nolito, Denis Suarez and Jonathan Soriano.

Albert Masnou of Sport said the manager wants to make an addition to the captures of Arda Turan and Aleix Vidal, but the Blaugrana are "reluctant to spend" any money in the January transfer window.

All three targets are former Barcelona players and would understand the expectations at the Camp Nou. The starting XI are heavily reliant on the MSN trinity of Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez and Neymar, but the squad will look comparatively thin if any of the superstars fall victim to injury.

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports
VILLARREAL, SPAIN - OCTOBER 18:  Nolito of Celta runs with the ball during the La Liga match between Villarreal CF and RC Celta de Vigo at El Madrigal Stadium on October 18, 2015 in Villarreal, Spain.  (Photo by Manuel Queimadelos Alonso/Getty Images)

Celta Vigo star Nolito has been linked with a move to Barca, but he told Spanish daily Marca he's "happy" at his current club (h/t Mirror's Aaron Flanagan):

"

They are only rumours. I want to be loud and clear, it is only what I have read in the press and what my friends have told me. I think that if Barca really want me they'll call Celta, and as far as I know they haven't done so.

The truth is that I am happy in Vigo and that is why, some minor details pending, I will be renewing with Celta soon. I am only sure that I am doing well here and I have decided to renew.

"
SAN SEBASTIAN, SPAIN - DECEMBER 20:  Denis Suarez of Villarreal CF celebrates after scoring during the La Liga match between Real Sociedad de Futbol and Villarreal CF at Estadio Anoeta on December 20, 2015 in San Sebastian, Spain.  (Photo by Juan Manuel S

Suarez left Catalonia in the summer to sign for Villarreal, and he has been a sensation since first appearing for the Yellow Submarine. 

Enrique has openly admitted to the press he is keeping an eye on the 21-year-old, as he decides what to do in the January and summer transfer windows, as reported by Matthew Rogerson of Goal: "I think I've seen him play well, he played with Sevilla but could have played more there. He looks good and is playing well and could be an option for us."

The promising forward spent a year in Andalusia on loan with Sevilla last term but opted to sign a four-year deal with Villarreal, per Rogerson. The contract allows Barca to re-sign Suarez at the end of the current campaign or in 2017, giving Enrique first refusal on his talents. 

Soriano currently plies his trade at Red Bull Salzburg and has been prolific since joining the Austrian Football Bundesliga club from Barca in 2012.

The former Spain under-21 international currently has a value of £5.25 million, according to Transfermarkt, and at 30, would add experience to the Camp Nou bench. 

The striker is a regular goalscorer for his team and could replace the threat previously added by Pedro before he departed for Chelsea

Here is a video showing why the attacker might find himself back at his former club:

Barca are also monitoring Ajax teenager Riechedly Bazoer, who has admitted he knows of the Blaugrana's interest in him.

The 19-year-old midfielder informed Dutch website Voetbal International (h/t Adam Smith of the MailOnline): "I'm not going to be mysterious about that. Two months ago [Barcelona] told my brother, who's my agent, about the interest. Marc Overmars also knows about the interest. They're watching my games and keeping an eye on me."

Bazoer recently made his full international debut for the Netherlands, and he is also a target for Arsenal, per Smith. The player turned down the Gunners' advances when he was 16, and he is now on the radar of the treble winners.

Riechedly Bazoer of Ajax during the Dutch Eredivisie match between Ajax Amsterdam and De Graafschap at the Amsterdam Arena on December 20, 2015 in Amsterdam, The Netherlands(Photo by VI Images via Getty Images)

Enrique rightfully wants to swell his squad in January after Barca complete their transfer ban, issued after sanctions by FIFA. 

Suarez is a burgeoning talent, but he does not have the consistency of Nolito, who was arguably La Liga's best player in the opening weeks of the campaign. 

Soriano is also a proven goalscorer, and a return to his Catalan homeland could appeal to the 30-year-old. 

Barca would be unwise to stand still in the transfer market; their starting XI is as strong as ever, but their bench does not have the experience or depth it once had in previous incarnations.

Steelers got a LOT better this offseason

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports
United States v Japan - International Friendly
FIFA World Cup 2026 Venues - New York New Jersey Stadium

TRENDING ON B/R