
Reggie Wayne Cut by Patriots: Latest Comments and Reaction
Two weeks after signing wide receiver Reggie Wayne, the New England Patriots have opted to release the 36-year-old.
ESPN's Josina Anderson first reported the news, citing a source who claimed Wayne was not going to be on New England's 53-man roster. The Patriots later confirmed they had parted ways with the wideout.
ESPN's Adam Schefter provided additional details on Wayne's release:
TOP NEWS
.jpg)
Colts Release Kenny Moore

Projecting Every NFL Team's Starting Lineup 🔮

Rookie WRs Who Will Outplay Their Draft Value 📈
Scott Zolak of 985 The Sports Hub said Wayne asked for his release because the "work environment [was] too tough, not fun." Schefter added the "expectation" is Wayne will now retire after being released.
Head coach Bill Belichick offered a statement via the team about Wayne's brief tenure with the organization following his release:
Even though Wayne will not play an official down with the Patriots when the season starts September 10, Jeff Howe of the Boston Herald did note the former All-Pro received $450,000 from the team last week.
Howe passed along information from a team source saying the potential of Wayne returning the bonus "never came up."
Wayne had expressed excitement about getting to play with Tom Brady after the quarterback won the appeal of his four-game suspension.
"That's my quarterback. ... I'm excited he's available," Wayne said, via Doug Kyed of NESN.com. "Now Reggie's gotta take care of what Reggie's gotta take care of. That's getting in my playbook, correcting all of the mistakes I made tonight and get better. I've only been here a week-and-a-half or so, so I'm behind the eight-ball."
If this is the end for him, Wayne put together a terrific resume through 14 years with the Indianapolis Colts. The former first-round pick ranks seventh all time in receptions (1,070), eighth in receiving yards (14,345) and 22nd in receiving touchdowns (82).
Wayne also had seven consecutive 1,000-yard seasons from 2004 to 2010 and won a Super Bowl with the Colts in 2006. His numbers suggest he could be a Hall of Famer, though the increased emphasis on passing may make it difficult for him to secure induction in his first few years of eligibility, if ever.
Regardless, there's no denying that for most of Wayne's 14-year NFL career, he was one of the league's best and most dangerous wide receivers.
Stats via Pro-Football-Reference.com.

.png)
.jpg)
.jpg)

.jpg)