NFLNBANHLMLBWNBARoland-GarrosSoccer
Featured Video
Steelers got a LOT better this offseason
RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL - AUGUST 01:  Rodrigo 'Minotauro' Nogueira of Brazil warms up backstage during the UFC 190 event inside HSBC Arena on August 1, 2015 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.  (Photo by Jeff Bottari/Zuffa LLC/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images)
RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL - AUGUST 01: Rodrigo 'Minotauro' Nogueira of Brazil warms up backstage during the UFC 190 event inside HSBC Arena on August 1, 2015 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. (Photo by Jeff Bottari/Zuffa LLC/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images)Jeff Bottari/Zuffa LLC/Getty Images

Rodrigo Nogueira Retires: Latest Details, Comments and Reaction

Tyler ConwaySep 1, 2015

Rodrigo Nogueira, last seen in the Octagon losing to Stefan Struve via unanimous decision at UFC 190, announced his retirement Tuesday.  

Guilherme Cruz of MMA Fighting reported the news, noting Nogueira will officially take a position within the UFC. 

"'Big Nog' is a legend in the sport of MMA," UFC President Dana White said, per Shaun Al-Shatti of MMA Fighting. "He is respected by fighters and fans worldwide. It has been an honor to watch him compete and I'm happy to see him retire. He will be a huge asset to the UFC, the athletes and the sport as an ambassador. I look forward to working with him in this new chapter of his life."

TOP NEWS

UFC 319: Du Plessis vs. Chimaev
Colts Jaguars Football

Nogueira, 39, held the UFC Heavyweight Championship on an interim basis in 2008 and also held the strap in the Pride Fighting Championships. He has participated in the UFC since 2007 but has begun showing his age in recent fights. Struve's victory at last month's pay-per-view was Nogueira's third straight loss and fourth in his last five fights.

"I love Big Nog and I think everybody loves Big Nog. He's such a good guy. He's respected by everybody. He and I actually talked tonight," White said after UFC 190, per Damon Martin of Fox Sports. "I'm done. I don't want to see him fight anymore. He doesn't disagree."

Nogueira finishes his professional career with a 34–10–1 record with one no-contest. Six of his losses came in a UFC ring, as he went 5-6 overall in the promotion. It's unclear what exact role Nogueira will hold within the organization, but White said it would be similar to deals given to other former fighters. 

"He and I are going to get together and we're going to talk," White said, per Martin. "I'm probably going to give him the Chuck Liddell, Matt Hughes and Forrest Griffin deal—we'd bring him in and make him an employee."

Whatever comes next for Nogueira, it's promising that he and White both recognize that it's time for him to walk away. Giving him a job represents a best-of-both-worlds ending for both parties.

Follow Tyler Conway (@tylerconway22) on Twitter.

Steelers got a LOT better this offseason

TOP NEWS

UFC 319: Du Plessis vs. Chimaev
Colts Jaguars Football
With Jayson Tatum sidelined, Celtics' fourth-quarter comeback falls short in Game 7 loss to 76ers
DENVER NUGGETS VS GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS, NBA

TRENDING ON B/R