UFC 189 wasn't as advertised.
It was better.
The pay-per-view portion of this card was perhaps the best in the promotion's history, delivering five exceptional finishes in five fights, all capped off by trash-talking Irishman Conor McGregor's triumph over the game Chad "Money" Mendes.
From the theatrics to the rowdy crowd to the fights themselves, UFC 189 delivered more than anyone could have hoped. That was insanity. That was MMA perfection. Check out the live blog below for in-depth breakdowns of each and every fight of the evening.
UFC 189 quick results:
Main Card (PPV, 10 p.m. ET)
- Conor McGregor defeats Chad Mendes via TKO (punches), Round 2, wins interim UFC FW title
- Robbie Lawler defeats Rory MacDonald via TKO (punches), Round 5, defends UFC WW title
- Jeremy Stephens defeats Dennis Bermudez via knockout (flying knee), Round 3
- Gunnar Nelson defeats Brandon Thatch via submission (rear-naked choke), Round 1
- Thomas Almeida defeats Brad Pickett via knockout (flying knee), Round 2
Prelims (Fox Sports 1, 8 p.m. ET)
- Matt Brown defeats Tim Means via guillotine choke, Round 1
- Alex Garcia defeats Mike Swick by unanimous decision (30-27 x2, 29-28)
- John Howard defeats Cathal Pendred by split decision (29-28 x2, 28-29)
- Cody Garbrandt defeats Henry Briones by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
Early Prelims (UFC Fight Pass, 7 p.m. ET)
- Louis Smolka defeats Neil Seery by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Cody Pfister defeats Yosdenis Cedeno by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)