Junior Galette's Lawyer Says Client Is Not Man Striking Woman with Belt in Video

Adam Wells@adamwells1985Featured ColumnistJune 20, 2015

USA Today

New Orleans Saints linebacker Junior Galette's lawyer has denied that his client was filmed striking a woman twice with a belt in a scuffle involving other people. 

According to a report from Larry Holder of the Times-Picayune, video footage from 2013 was alleged to show Galette attacking multiple people, including the woman:

In a YouTube video titled "Spring Break 2013 South Beach Brawl" and published March 25, 2013, Galette strikes a woman twice with a belt in the midst of a scuffle. The melee was recorded and posted by an onlooker.

...

"We were made aware of the video and we sent it to the league office," Saints spokesman Greg Bensel said. "There is a process this will go through at the league-office level and we are waiting on that to be determined."

The NFL had no comment on the video. Galette's agent Alvin Keels did not respond to requests for comment.

The full video, which lasts for one minute and 43 seconds, can be seen below (WARNING: FEATURES VIOLENT CONTENT AND PROFANITY. VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED):

Nick Underhill of the Advocate provided comments from Galette's lawyer, Ralph Whalen, who says Galette is not the man featured in the video:

The Saints issued a statement to Underhill that they were made aware of the video's existence and are awaiting the process at the NFL's league office to finish:

In addition to striking a woman with a belt, the man in the video returns to the fray late in the video and throws another punch at one of the men involved. 

Galette has a history of off-field allegations, including a January arrest on a domestic violence charge that was dismissed in February. He was due to meet with NFL officials about a potential punishment this week.

ESPN's Mike Triplett wrote on June 17 that Galette said his meeting with league officials was "at the end of the month." The 27-year-old said in Triplett's piece that he was hearing positive things from the NFL Players Association about his upcoming meeting. 

"As far as the news I've received, it's nothing but good news. Because obviously it didn't really look good on [the accuser's] part that the case got thrown before it even got to court," Galette said. 

That came before this latest video was released. It's unclear at this point what league officials will take away from this new information.

The NFL has adjusted its stance on domestic violence and suspensions, most notably sitting Dallas Cowboys defensive end Greg Hardy for 10 games without pay after the "league found sufficient credible evidence that Hardy engaged in conduct that violated NFL policies" even though his case was dismissed, per Dan Hanzus of NFL.com. 

If he is identified as the man in the video, Galette would have to answer for his actions along with any questions the NFL may have about his previously dismissed domestic violence charge, in order to avoid the same fate as Hardy.

Related

    Gonzalez, Reed Highlight 2019 Pro Football HoF Semifinalists

    NFL logo
    NFL

    Gonzalez, Reed Highlight 2019 Pro Football HoF Semifinalists

    Scott Polacek
    via Bleacher Report

    Updated NFL Power Rankings ⬆️⬇️

    NFL logo
    NFL

    Updated NFL Power Rankings ⬆️⬇️

    NFL Staff
    via Bleacher Report

    Tap Here to Buy Capital One's The Match

    NFL logo
    NFL

    Tap Here to Buy Capital One's The Match

    via B/R Live

    Tannehill Will Start for Dolphins After Month Away

    NFL logo
    NFL

    Tannehill Will Start for Dolphins After Month Away

    Timothy Rapp
    via Bleacher Report