Giants' Steve Weatherford Involved in Scary Crash Trying to Get Home for OTAs

Kyle Newport@@KyleNewportFeatured ColumnistJune 1, 2015

via Steve Weatherford

In a matter of moments, New York Giants punter Steve Weatherford went from trying to show up to his team's organized team activities to just being thankful to be alive.

Weatherford made a cross-country trip to San Diego to see his newborn daughter this weekend. Knowing that his team was scheduled to have OTAs, he made sure he was scheduled to get back in time for Monday's session.

Unfortunately, Mother Nature didn't make it easy on him.

A storm forced his flight to land in Washington, D.C., rather than Newark, New Jersey. That meant the 32-year-old punter would have to find another way home.

After landing in the nation's capital at 11 p.m., Weatherford decided to get a rental car so he could drive home through the storm.

Well, after a scary night, Weatherford made it home—but the car did not.

Here's how Weatherford described his wild night:

So I've just had a night I will never forget... My morning started with a visit to see my newborn baby girl JJ at the hospital in San Diego. I left the hospital to catch a flight to Newark to join my team today for OTA practices. This is where it gets crazy. All flights into Newark were cancelled due to thunderstorms so my flight had to reroute to DC. We didn't land til 11pm. It was already too late to train or bus to NJ, so I rented a car so I don't miss practice today. 3 hours into my trip at 3:30am I run into a massive body of water on the NJ turnpike, I hydroplane, slam into the median, get blasted in the face by the air bags. My rental is totaled, and I walked out without a scratch. I am feeling so incredibly blessed. Not only has God given my family and I a beautiful, healthy 10 pound baby girl. He sent his guardian angels to keep my car from flipping and possibly dying. So, I call 911 and the finest Highway Patrol in America, the NJ State Police come to the rescue and offer me a ride back to Hoboken. These guys didn't do it because they were football fans, they didn't even know who I was or what I do. I'm super proud to have always been a supporter of the NY/NJ Police and Fire Departments. So I want to give a #GIANT thank you to Officer Adam Brozek and his partner Officer Kim Smith for coming to my aid in my time of need, and going that extra step further for driving me 45 miles home. God saved me, and the NJ State Troopers delivered me. Now I'm home shaking like a leaf, trying to pack my bag to go to practice. I'm so thankful to even be walking right now. #GodIsGood #Blessed Thank you again to the NJ State Police! #GodBlessYouBoys

Although the accident totaled the car, Weatherford walked away unharmed.

He was in a tough spot once his flight changed course. However, the punter wasn't going to let that keep him from getting to practice. Thankfully, he is able to live to tell the tale of his eventful 24 hours.

[Steve Weatherford]