NFLNBAMLBNHLWNBASoccerGolf
Featured Video
They Control the NBA This Summer ✍️
Manchester City's James Milner celebrates after scoring against Sheffield Wednesday during their English FA Cup third round soccer match at the Etihad Stadium, Manchester, England, Sunday, Jan. 4, 2015. (AP Photo/Jon Super)
Manchester City's James Milner celebrates after scoring against Sheffield Wednesday during their English FA Cup third round soccer match at the Etihad Stadium, Manchester, England, Sunday, Jan. 4, 2015. (AP Photo/Jon Super)Jon Super/Associated Press

Liverpool Transfer News: Latest James Milner, Adam Bogdan Rumours

Gianni VerschuerenJan 26, 2015

Liverpool are reportedly confident of their chances of adding Manchester City's James Milner in a free transfer during the summer, as the rumours linking the England international to Anfield continue to intensify.

ESPN FC's Richard Jolly claims the Reds' confidence continues to grow amid speculation that their offer of regular first-team football could see Milner turn down a contract extension with the defending Premier League champions:

"

Liverpool are increasingly confident they will sign James Milner in the summer, sources told ESPN FC.

The England international midfielder will be available on a free transfer if he does not agree a new contract with Manchester City.

The Premier League champions have been in talks with the 29-year-old for some time and have offered him a new deal, while manager Manuel Pellegrini has twice said he expected Milner to commit his future to City within a few days.

However the former Aston Villa player has yet to finalise terms and Liverpool believe the offer of regular first-team football could sway Milner to leave the Etihad Stadium for Anfield.

"

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports

The 29-year-old has been negotiating a new contract with the Citizens for the past several weeks, but as shared by this fan, the Guardian's Stuart James reports the two sides have reached an impasse, opening the door for a free transfer during the summer:

Milner serves as a versatile weapon for City but spends more time on the bench than he would like. His work-rate and versatility were on display playing as a false nine for the injured Sergio Aguero, and the current absence of Yaya Toure means he's playing regular minutes as the January window comes to a close.

The Ivorian's return should once again cut into his playing time—according to WhoScored.com, his 11 starts this season put him on pace to play way more than he has in previous years, making just 12 Premier League starts in last year's campaign.

According to the Daily Mail's Simon Jones, the Reds aren't the only team interested in his services, via Victor Fagerstrom:

Milner isn't a world-class performer, but as a veteran, versatile midfielder with plenty of Premier League experience under his belt, he would make a fine addition for any team, particularly on a free transfer.

Value is key here—Milner is not the type of player you'd want Brendan Rodgers to spend a huge transfer fee on, but as a free addition to the team, he would bring the fans plenty of reason to celebrate.

Steven Gerrard's departure at the end of the season will greatly diminish the amount of Premier League experience at Rodgers' disposal—Milner would be an excellent addition to make up said loss.

Rumours the Reds may be interested in Bolton Wanderers hero Adam Bogdan are completely unfounded, according to Rodgers, who answered questions regarding the Hungarian quite clearly.

As reported by ESPN FC's Mike Whalley, a reporter asked him whether there was anything to the rumours Liverpool could move for Bogdan. His response was brief: "Nothing at all."

LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND - JANUARY 24: Eidur Gudjohnsen (L), Adam Bogdan (C) and Jay Spearing (R) of Bolton walk towards the travelling suppor to celebrate their sides draw on the final whistle during the FA Cup fourth round match between Liverpool and Bolton W

The 27-year-old was impressive during Saturday's FA Cup match against the Reds, making a series of key saves to force a replay for Bolton. As a free agent at the end of the season, some suggested the Reds could try to make a move for a small fee in order to bring an extra body into the goalkeeper competition.

As discussed by Bleacher Report's Ryan Bailey and Alex Dimond, the position is in dire need of some help, with designated starter Simon Mignolet struggling tremendously:

Rodgers told reporters he believes his dealings in the transfer window are over, however, per the Liverpool Echo's James Pearce:

The January transfer window traditionally is filled with knee-jerk reactions, and the Bogdan rumours can likely classified as such. Yes, the 27-year-old was fantastic against the Reds, but one strong showing usually doesn't result in a big club launching an offer for a veteran who has started just seven matches all year, per WhoScored.

They Control the NBA This Summer ✍️

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports
United States v Japan - International Friendly
FIFA World Cup 2026 Venues - New York New Jersey Stadium

TRENDING ON B/R