NFLNBAMLBNHLWNBASoccerGolf
Featured Video
Mbappé's Rollercoaster Season 🎢
Apichart Weerawong/Associated Press

Manchester United Transfer News and Rumours Tracker: Week of January 5

Rob BlanchetteJan 5, 2015

Manchester United edged their way past plucky Yeovil Town to progress in the FA Cup on Sunday, and will now surely turn their attentions to the prospect of new signings in the January transfer window.

Louis van Gaal lost both of his full-backs to injury during the fixture with the League One minnows, with Rafael and Luke Shaw facing more time in the treatment room, per Adam Shergold of the Mail Online.

The Dutch coach may now be forced to bring in back-up to ensure United's top-four challenge remains on course.

Here, we take a look at the latest gossip and rumours surrounding the Red Devils.

Last updated: Friday, January 9.

Michael Keane Sold, Ben Pearson Leaves on Loan

1 of 6

Friday, January 9

Two of Manchester United's most promising youngsters have departed the club, with Michael Keane joining Burnley for an undisclosed fee thought to be £2 million.

Mark Ogden of The Telegraph reports Louis van Gaal has decided to move the highly-rated England under-21 defender on as he continues to reshape the Red Devils' squad.

Keane has seen Paddy McNair and Tyler Blackett leapfrog him in the pecking order at Old Trafford, and this has lead to a permanent move away from United.

And Samuel Luckhurst of The Manchester Evening News says midfield starlet Ben Pearson will temporarily join Barnsley on a one-month loan.

Pearson won the prestigious Jimmy Murphy Player of the Year in 2013 and has been in sparkling form for the United under-21 team in recent times.

The 20-year-old has previously been compared to Paul Scholes in style and technique, with the former United legend also lauding Pearson's talent, per Richard Beech of the Mirror.

Borussia Dortmund Reject United's £35 Million Mats Hummels Bid

2 of 6

Manchester United have opened their January transfer window business with a huge £35 million offer to sign Borussia Dortmund centre-back, Mats Hummels—but Jurgen Klopp has dismissed the initial bid.

Chisanga Malata of the Daily Star reports Italian journalist Gianluigi Longari claimed the offer was put to BVB by the Red Devils on Tuesday, but the Bundesliga club have turned down the approach.

Malata describes the 25-year-old player as Louis van Gaal's "number one target for the January transfer window," and surely United will now bid again to capture the German World Cup hero. 

However, Alex Harris of the Daily Star says Hummels does indeed favour a move to Old Trafford, with Arsenal also in the race for his signature. 

United Alerted to Thiago Motta Availability

3 of 6

Wednesday, January 7

Paris Saint-Germain midfielder Thiago Motta has asked to leave the French champions in January, sparking a wave of interest in his signature.

TalkSport highlight that French newspaper L'Equipe say the 32-year-old has fallen out with senior squad members and staff at PSG—alerting Manchester United and Tottenham to the player's current predicament. 

The Italian has just 18 months of his current deal remaining, per TalkSport, and considering his age—PSG will have to sell now to see a strong transfer fee.

Inter Milan and Real Madrid have also been touted as possible destinations for the defensive-minded individual, with TalkSport saying Inter have already enquired about Motta's availability. 

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports

Shock January Move for Newcastle Star Ayoze Perez

4 of 6

Tuesday, January 6

Manchester United are being linked with a dramatic January transfer move for Newcastle's rising Spanish star Ayoze Perez.

Bruce Archer of the Daily Star writes that reports in Spain say the Red Devils will battle with Arsenal to obtain the 21-year-old after his impressive start to life in the Premier League.

Perez has five goals from his 19 appearances for the Geordies since his move from Tenerife for £2 million in the summer, per Archer.

Perez recently made his debut for Spain's under-21 team and could be one of a number of Newcastle players subject to bids in the current window after Alan Pardew's departure.

Borussia Dortmund Ready to Cash in on Ilkay Gundogan

5 of 6

Monday, January 5

Manchester United are "favourites" to land Borussia Dortmund's coveted German international midfielder, Ilkay Gundogan.

Anthony Chapman of the Express says BVB will move swiftly to gain a profit on the player before his current deal expires.

Gundogan's contract with the fallen Bundesliga giant ends in 2016, and the club do not want to lose the player for free as they did with star striker Robert Lewandowski, per Chapman.

Chapman says Old Trafford is the player's most likely destination, with Gundogan admitting he would be tempted by a move to England:

"Playing outside Germany is one of my big goals. If one day I leave here, I'd like to play in Spain or for one of the big teams in England."

United Eye Ipswich Starlet Teddy Bishop

6 of 6

Monday, January 5

Manchester United will battle Arsenal for the signature of Ipswich teenage sensation, Teddy Bishop—with both clubs prepared to spend £10 million to grab the player.

Kevin Shield of The Sun (subscription required) says the Gunners lead the race for Bishop but any fight for his capture will now continue until next summer.

And Chisanga Malata of the Daily Star reports several Premier League clubs have been monitoring the 18-year-old midfielder after a string of sensational performances for the Tractor Boys in the Championship.

However, if Bishop continues to develop at a fast pace—his valuation will rocket after he recently signed a new two-year deal with his club, per Malata. 

Mbappé's Rollercoaster Season 🎢

TOP NEWS

Real Madrid CF v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports
Real Betis V Real Madrid - Laliga Ea Sports
United States v Japan - International Friendly
FIFA World Cup 2026 Venues - New York New Jersey Stadium

TRENDING ON B/R