
Manchester United Transfer News and Rumours Tracker: Week of September 22
The shock of Manchester United's collapse at Leicester City is still fresh and raw, and it leaves more questions about Louis van Gaal's team than answers.
United fell to the Premier League new boys, losing the match 5-3 after leading the game by two goals.
Van Gaal looked dumbstruck in the dugout as he witnessed his defence crumble and fall.
The scoreline highlighted that the rebuilding programme is far from over at Old Trafford, and LvG will have to add a world-class centre-back to his ranks.
Here, we take a look at the latest gossip and news surrounding the Red Devils, including further rumours of a move for Cristiano Ronaldo.
—LAST UPDATED: FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 25—
Marco Reus Contract Talks Stall with Borussia Dortmund
1 of 5
Thursday, September 25
Borussia Dortmund superstar Marco Reus looks set to leave the German team after the collapse of his contract negotiations, putting Manchester United and the Premier League on red alert.
Chisanga Malata of the Daily Star writes that the winger had been in talks with BVB about extending his stay at the Westfalenstadion but he now questions the club's long-term ambitions.
Malata says German reports confirm Reus' negotiations have not progressed, putting United, Arsenal and Liverpool on stand-by to pounce.
Reus has seen Dortmund prize assets Robert Lewandowski and Mario Gotze walk away from the club and he might feel that now is the time for him to do the same.
Gerard Pique to Solve United's Defensive Crisis?
2 of 5
Wednesday, September 24
Barcelona defender Gerard Pique could be on his way back to Manchester United after falling out of favour at the Camp Nou.
Anthony Chapman of the Express writes that Louis van Gaal is plotting to bring the Spain international back to the Premier League in the January transfer window.
The 27-year-old has lost his starting place at Barca to new signing, Jeremy Mathieu. And with Javier Mascherano preferred as his partner, Pique has been left out in the cold.
Pique originally joined the Catalan giants from United for £5 million, in 2008.
The player had recently signed a new deal to keep him with Luis Enrique's team until 2019, per Chapman, but United's will to spend big could tempt Pique back to the north-west of England.
United and Arsenal to Compete for Ron Vlaar
3 of 5
Tuesday, September 23
Manchester United and Arsenal will both attempt to sign experienced Netherlands centre-back Ron Vlaar from Aston Villa, in the near future.
Anthony Chapman of the Daily Express writes that Louis van Gaal will rekindle his interest in his former international defender but will face strong competition from the Gunners.
The 29-year-old will become a free agent in the summer, having not agreed a contract extension with Villa since his fine performances at the World Cup.
Both United and Arsenal have recently suffered a multitude of injuries in their defences and the Dutchman would bring additional cover and competition to their squads, without breaking the bank.
Manchester United Reunion with Cristiano Ronaldo Given Boost
4 of 5
Monday, September 22
Manchester United's potential move to bring Cristiano Ronaldo back to Old Trafford was given a further boost after a potential deal to move the player to Monaco was "ripped up."
Rob Shepherd of the Daily Mail wrote that CR7 had a prearranged agreement to join the French club in the near future, but Monaco owner Dmitry Rybolovlev has run into financial difficulties after a well-publicised divorce.
Shepherd says this means Ronaldo is now free to discuss a move to United, with the player "likely" to return to his former club.
Will Giles of the Metro also reported that Rybolovlev had agreed with super agent Jorge Mendes to bring Ronaldo to the tax-free principality.
However, the swift exits of two of Mendes' biggest clients from the club, Radamel Falcao and James Rodriguez, now makes any deal unlikely.
Arsenal to Move for Chris Smalling in January
5 of 5
Monday, September 22
Manchester United defender Chris Smalling will be the subject of a transfer bid from Arsenal when the window opens in January.
Rob Draper of the Mail On Sunday said that Arsene Wenger will move for the England international after a defensive injury crisis for the Gunners.
Mathieu Debuchy could be out for three months after his recent injury against Manchester City, per Philip Cadden of the Daily Telegraph.
Draper reported that Wenger is a big fan of Smalling and had tried to bring the former Fulham player back to London this summer: "Last month Wenger had insisted on Smalling being part of any swap deal that took place with Manchester United for Thomas Vermaelen—but United refused to include him and Vermaelen ended up at Barcelona."
Smalling has fallen down the pecking order at Old Trafford after the emergence of Tyler Blackett.






.jpg)







