Updates from Wednesday, April 30
Ramona Shelburne of ESPN Los Angeles initially had the news:
Ken Berger provides comments from Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak:
Marc J Spears of Yahoo! Sports sheds light on what may have caused the two sides to part:
Updates from Tuesday, April 29
Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports reports Mike D'Antoni is looking to remain with the Lakers:
Mark Medina of insidesocal.com previously had the latest on the discussions that were ongoing between the Lakers and Mike D'Antoni:
Mike D’Antoni plans to continue having formal discussions with the Lakers on Thursday, including whether he will coach for the 2014-15 season, according to a league source familiar with the situation.
D’Antoni currently plans to talk with Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak on Thursday over the phone, as opposed to in person. But this newspaper learned that D’Antoni also had preliminary discussions with Kupchak late Wednesday afternoon.
Updates from Friday, April 25
The Orange County Register's Mark Heisler reports that D'Antoni will be retained as Lakers head coach:
After 10 days of soul searching, the key figures in Lakers management are agreed on bringing back D’Antoni for a third season as coach, a source with knowledge of the deliberations told the Register.
However, Bleacher Report's Kevin Ding noted that the two sides have not officially sat down yet:
ESPN's Ramona Shelburne notes that D'Antoni wants things settled:
Mike D'Antoni's run with the Los Angeles Lakers isn't over just yet.
After a forgettable 27-55 season marked the worst campaign of the 62-year-old's coaching career, many believed D'Antoni would be cast off after his second year at the helm of the Lake Show.
The uncertainty of his future only recently became less certain when rumors began circling about the Marshall alum filling the open vacancy with the Thundering Herd, but it appears as though D'Antoni won't be returning home.
The Charleston Daily Mail's Chuck McGill has the newest rumor:
Sources told the Charleston Daily Mail on Tuesday afternoon that D'Antoni will remain the head coach of the Lakers and, thus, will not be in position to accept the vacant Herd hoops job.
D'Antoni is staying put. [Marshall athletic director Mike] Hamrick is moving on.
There was reportedly mutual interest, but according to McGill, D'Antoni met with Jim Buss and Mitch Kupchak "multiple times," and the belief is the Lakers will keep their current head coach, who has another season on his contract.
Mark Medina of the Los Angeles Daily News has a contradicting report, however:
Of course, the variance in the reports isn't all that surprising. We still aren't very far removed from the end of the season, and as Kupchak himself said, via ESPN's Ramona Shelburne, the final decision could take a while:
D'Antoni is a polarizing figure—as is common with head coaches following 27-win seasons. Some are ready to pack his bags for him, but others are willing to admit there aren't many coaches who could have done anything more with the current Lakers roster.
Dwight Howard left via free agency. Kobe Bryant played six games due to injury. Steve Nash was never really healthy. Pau Gasol missed 22 games. Nick Young led the team in scoring, while 16 different players started at least five games on the year.
The roster was absolutely ripped apart, leaving D'Antoni very little to work with.
Still, the Lakers, who have very little on the books for next season and a potential top-five pick coming their way, are geared toward the future, and they will have to decide if D'Antoni is the man to take them into the next era.
It just doesn't sound like a decision is coming anytime soon.